Also should i port the gt-40p heads:?:

R

·
0 Posts
Im wondering if a set of gt-40p heads will be better than stock E7's:?:
Also should i port the gt-40p heads:?:

GT40's are considerably better the e7's

e7's are good for door stops or boat anchor with regards to performance

If you port the gt40's if will allowed the work at their full potential as a budget head......

But still won't compare to an out of the box aftermarket set......

BTW welcome to AFM........:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
gt40's are decent for a budget minded car, or a mild buildup. but YES!!!, port them. they are restrictive as far as airflow goes.

e7's are only mediocre at best...as far as boat anchors or door stops anyway.

in the end..the gt40's are good..better than stock, and even better when ported/polished. but they arent no trickflow twisted wedge heads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much hp difference from stock heads to gt-40p heads and ported gt-40p heads from stock

·
Registered
7 Posts
welcome this forum is epic it has answered many of my questions quickly and informativly, choosing a cyclinder heads can leave you with a headache so heres the low down ask yourself these questions first whats the engines purpose, next whats your level of experiance. whats the power level you want to achieve finally how much money do you wanna spend. Cubic dollars lol

i am in the process of building 93 lx hatch i know its purpose is going to be street strip so that means the engine should be more peaky and like to rev. higher compression ect ect one needs higher flowing heads than stock to really take advantage i have built a few engines but not an expert by any means and i say to ask this question because for an example an experianced tuner will be able to buy a cheap patriot head bare spend some hours porting and blending assemble the valve train to the specs he/she needs for usually cheaper than a pair of good flowing assembled heads plus have peace of mind in quality for cost. how much you wanna spend. this is one area of an engine that in my opinion no one should "cheap out" a well matched pair of heads to your appllication is key. don't go crazy and buy a set of 205's for your other wise stock 5.0 i spent the money and bought a pair of afr 185 street strip heads bang for buck one of the best heads on the market for out of the box performance with out payin up the nose. the power level i am shooting for is short of 500 bhp so right away this eliminates stock, gt 40 small valved after market heads any motor over 400 bhp look for a head that has 2.02 1.60 valves pay the money for good heads do it once do it right and don;t think bigger is better match it to your application

·
Registered
924 Posts
hp tv took a 306 with summit rotating assembly rhs 200 intake and 58cc chambers.. and made 423 with a wiend intake and holley carb.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
For OP gt40p can get you to 20 more hp and maybe 40 ported maybe a little more with Cam and intake the alu8minum aftermarket can get you up to almost 100 depending. Its like this reg straw= e7 Jack in the box straw=gt40p 3 in pvc pipe= aluminum heads!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going 300 hp range with this setup... What else would i need i currently have 3.55 gears,CAI,underdrive pulleys,mufflers and no cats.

Im low on cash but next month ill have 1250$ what should i buy besides a 268 comp cam kit?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Tfs TW, or AFr 165 heads. Holley or TFS intake custom cam. You could get close with a TFS top end kit.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
400 to the crank on a non mustang dyno and probably on hell of a cam. And Im still havin a hard time with it. Those were cast aluminum heads. Sounded good!

·
Registered
924 Posts
said 236 and 598 on cam ... those were some good numbers ... alot of tq also like almost 400

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Im going 300 hp range with this setup... What else would i need i currently have 3.55 gears,CAI,underdrive pulleys,mufflers and no cats.

Im low on cash but next month ill have 1250$ what should i buy besides a 268 comp cam kit?
You gotta look at the big picture and it all comes down to what you want as an end product and your budget(bank account). If you are going to spend $600 or $700 on your heads after everything is said and done like freshening them up, new valves, guides, springs, port job, milling them down, ect... or would you rather save just a bit more and get a set of better flowing and and much lighter aluminum heads.:headscratch: It is up to you ultimately.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Remember about that video: it's in a controlled environment, on an engine dyno, and built to achieve a max hp number. That .598 cam was used only for that purpose, to give the TV audience the "ohhh" factor. Not to mention the 200cc heads (high rpm), big tube headers (high rpm), single plane intake (high rpm) along with that cam (high rpm). It's a good engine but I don't know about it being in a daily driver with accessories, I know it'd be lower than 400.

As for the P heads, expect 15 hp with them not ported, and add in roughly 20 hp more but don't expect them to make a ton of power. They're just stock Explorer heads, they're not up to the standards of a good aftermarket head. By the time you buy them, get them ported, and upgrade the springs (Explorer spring are trash), you would've spent about the same for a good set of aftermarket entry level heads like a TFS Twisted Wedge, RHS, Holley, or other equivalent heads that would make more power than ported P heads.

The choice is yours, either way make the most of it. :bigthumbsup We get being on a budget, but the additional cost of improving those heads need to be added in too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.