Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've had my GT for one week today and I'm new to driving manual transmission.

Aside from a few classic rookie mistakes (like reving it too much before a take off or reverse) I'm doing fairly well and have already put 300 miles or so on it..

My question is,

Some times the gear shifter is hard to put into first...like it's really clunky and rigid and almost fights me a little. I'm using a FULLY depressed clutch everytime and it happens mostly when I'm trying to shift it while I'm slowing down...(like say to a stop sign).

I tried making sure I'm pushing it over to the left enough....

is something wrong?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Don't force it and rev match when you shift. It will also loosen up a little over time.

Also don't wait until you are at a full stop before you shift into first. Actually, I never come to a complete stop unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
450 Posts
down shifting from second to first when approaching a stop is really tough on the syncros in the transmission. If I remember correctly, the book recommends being at almost a complete stop before trying to do that. Now, as you get more proficient at shifting, you can start to learn the process of double clutching and rev matching to get the downshifts much smoother. To make rev matching actually work on these cars, the best thing to do is to get a tune and an intake to reduce the throttle lag. That will smooth up all your shifting. Above all, practice! Practice doesn't always make perfect, but it sure helps!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hey all,

Aside from a few classic rookie mistakes (like reving it too much before a take off or reverse) I'm doing fairly well and have already put 300 miles or so on it..

My question is,

Some times the gear shifter is hard to put into first...like it's really clunky and rigid and almost fights me a little. I'm using a FULLY depressed clutch everytime and it happens mostly when I'm trying to shift it while I'm slowing down...(like say to a stop sign).

is something wrong?

thanks in advance.
Save shifting into first until your almost stopped. If you already have stopped and are having a problem getting it into first. Leave it in neutral and let the clutch out and push it back in then slip it into first. If the engine is off and you want to put it in first and it wont go, try reverse then back to first. The thing with double clutching. Put it into neutral with the clutch out then rev the engine put the clutch in and try and get it to slip into 1st. The only reason I get into first before getting slowed down all the way is when I am anticipating needing to go slow but not stopping. Otherwise there is no reason to be going fast to put it into first. its easy to get the car to pick up out of second as slow at 5 MPH (even stopped). At 10 you won't need any clutch slippage to pick up 2nd.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was taught never to downshift into first. I usually don't put it into first unless I am at a complete stop or moving very slowly, say less than 5mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

My question is,

is something wrong?

thanks in advance.

You have to drop the speed of the vehicle below 20 km/h before you can downshift into 1st.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was taught never to downshift into first. I usually don't put it into first unless I am at a complete stop or moving very slowly, say less than 5mph.
That was because traditionally first and reverse were not synchronized making it impossible to do without double clutching or near stopped. In 35 years of driving, my 2008 GT is the first car with a syncromesh 1st gear. When I discovered that a big smile appeared on my face.

:D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I usually don't go into first unless in going like <10 mph. Otherwise it WILL fight you. But first is a harder gear to push the shifter into, even when you're stopped. It will loosen up a bit over time, but all in all, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep!

You're all right! And thanks.

Second is plenty low enough to pick up if you're still pretty much rolling (figured that out) ....

And it's much easier if I wait to stop or almost stop before shifting into first.

Second gear seems to have most of the really heavy low end torque.

I seem to accelerate the fastest in that gear (Third aint bad either).

thanks again everyone....

more questions to come!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you're not coming to a complete stop, you can pretty much leave in 2nd gear all the time. I never downshift to first unless I'm at a dead stop. Otherwise, I take off in 2nd.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Second is plenty low enough to pick up if you're still pretty much rolling (figured that out) ....

And it's much easier if I wait to stop or almost stop before shifting into first.

Second gear seems to have most of the really heavy low end torque.

I seem to accelerate the fastest in that gear (Third aint bad either).

thanks again everyone....

more questions to come!!
I get the feeling I am dating myself each time I respond to this thread, but I back when I was learning to drive a stick I was told that second gear was the "power" gear. 1st is for starting, 3rd is for cruising, 4th is for highways and 5th for overdrive. That's what I was taught 25 years ago, anyway.

BTW, once you get used to a stick you won't want to go back to an auto. :nogrinner

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the feeling I am dating myself each time I respond to this thread, but I back when I was learning to drive a stick I was told that second gear was the "power" gear. 1st is for starting, 3rd is for cruising, 4th is for highways and 5th for overdrive. That's what I was taught 25 years ago, anyway.

BTW, once you get used to a stick you won't want to go back to an auto. :nogrinner

That's exactly why I went with the manual trans... everybody said that it would be more fun and more rewarding...

I traded in my v6 auto for a nice new GT stick and once I get over the fear of stalling it out..... I'm sure I'll be having a blast....

just hope my poor clutch survives my learning period!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.