Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just posted my first post on the newbie intro forum,I currently own 2004 Mustang GT and in that post I made reference to getting a sn95 for a project, but I was thinking the 04 seems to be a very good platform for performance, I am just kind of new to the 4.6L, since I have owned 8 mustangs and 7 of them have been 5.0L. So i guess what I am getting at is if you had a bone stock 04 gt 5spd, where would you start modding first, I would like to go the forced induction route but since my GT is still under warranty that will have to wait. But what mods would you guys suggest to sort of prep my car for a S/C. I was thinking suspension , exhaust and gears. I just want some experienced opinions so I dont start off on the wrong foot. Heres a couple pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
stangjunkie04 said:
I was thinking the 04 seems to be a very good platform for performance
-- define performance as it applies to you: ET's? Getting props on Cruise Night? Car Shows?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I define performance as not great at one thing but good in all aspects I want my car to handle well have adequate power not over doing it, I dont need 500rwhp. I might go to the track a couple times a year but other that that it will be a street machine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi and welcome. For a street car I would first look at the suspension packages offered at stangsuspension.com, They have good complete packages. Also some upgraded brakes ( baer or cobra ) and gears: stock or 355 with KB or 355 or 373 with centrifigual.

Superchargers, I would go with the KB 1.7 for street along with a CAI and 75mm TB and that's it

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Very nice car

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The important differences to know between the 4.6 and 5.0 are that the 4.6 doesn't respond as well to headers as the 5.0, you can go higher on the rear gear ratio with the 4.6, and the factory head/intake/cam package is better on the 4.6.

I'd start with an x-pipe/catback combo, then a CAI/TB/upper plenum combo, underdrive pulley, and then gears and a handheld tuner. Those are the basic bolt-ons to start off with. You don't necessarily have to go in that order, either, just make sure to do the gears and tuner at the same time to keep your speedo accurate.

·
Registered
179 Posts
putting headers on a 99-04 is a cold hearted *****.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would it be wise to get a CAI and pulleys if I am going to go S/C'd or would I just be wassting my money. If I go with the KB 1.7 setup doesn't that just replace the upper intake plenum?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yes i believe if you are planing on going with a S/Cer you cant use the U/D pulleys and depending on supercharger you cant use the CAI. now i have seen some pictures of cars using a BBK style CAI with there KB1.7 ill see if i can find the picture and pose it.
Anyhow good luck.

·
Registered
701 Posts
stangjunkie04 said:
I just posted my first post on the newbie intro forum,I currently own 2004 Mustang GT and in that post I made reference to getting a sn95 for a project, but I was thinking the 04 seems to be a very good platform for performance, I am just kind of new to the 4.6L, since I have owned 8 mustangs and 7 of them have been 5.0L. So i guess what I am getting at is if you had a bone stock 04 gt 5spd, where would you start modding first, I would like to go the forced induction route but since my GT is still under warranty that will have to wait. But what mods would you guys suggest to sort of prep my car for a S/C. I was thinking suspension , exhaust and gears. I just want some experienced opinions so I dont start off on the wrong foot. Heres a couple pics
Hi stangjunkie04

Cool to have some one else posting in this forum from New England!

Of what I know I think your best bet would be:
- Intake
- Exhaust
- Pulleys
- Diablo sport tuning

These mods would all be easy bolt-ons. (driveway bolt-ons)

I am not sure how some of them will affect your warranty. To make sure I would check with a dealership.
Gears: I've heared from a lot of people that they would not do the gears any more - search the forum, there is plenty of Info on gears.

Have fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the only bad thing about new england is that I can't drive the stang all year round. I guess I am just going to plan on upgrading areas of the car that wont interfere with the s/c I will research exhaust minus the headers, gears, suspension kits, and a nice tire and wheel combo. I might also do a few body modifications also, it sucks but between not wasting my money on parts I will have to take off when the s/c goes on and not adding parts that void my warranty Im walking on egg shells.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I do have to agree with that. Think about all possible things that might change when you put an SC on.

If I wold have a 04 I would definitely not drive around in our lovely winters.
You see mine is a 2000 with 105 K miles, it really does not matter any more.
Driving in snow is really an exciting thing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah I picked up a 93 pathfinder for the snow, that thing will go through anything and run forever

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.