Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first mustang about a month ago, its a 2002 mustang gt Premium 5spd. I have to say I love this car, The first few weeks I had it I would sneak down to the garage to just look at it. But, unfortunately for me it is already in the shop.

It has the snychro (spelling?) problem I have read about, and it has a weird squealing coming from the engine. Thankfully though the 90 day warranty from the dealership is still in effect and should cover everything completely. So now my only problem is separation anxiety.

·
Registered
701 Posts
sdds,

Sorry tro hear about that.
The problem with the synchronizer ring(s) is pretty common. I had to fix that too. Since I didn't think about selling my stang I wanted to have it perfect and just got me a new t45 tranny.
Keep on cruisin'

·
Registered
604 Posts
engineer76 said:
sdds,

Sorry tro hear about that.
The problem with the synchronizer ring(s) is pretty common. I had to fix that too. Since I didn't think about selling my stang I wanted to have it perfect and just got me a new t45 tranny.
Keep on cruisin'
Did they ever make a recall for the synchro's? Or is that just a common problem with our 4.6L's? I have a 2000 GT and I dont want replace my tranny any time soon :(

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I don't know that there was ever a recall, but it's a known problem with T45's, not necessarily the 4.6L engine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
I don't know that there was ever a recall, but it's a known problem with T45's, not necessarily the 4.6L engine.
But wouldn't sdds' 2002 5 speed GT have the TR3650 instead of a T45? Is this a common problem with that transmission, too? I wonder because mine is an '02. Did some '02 GTs have a T45?

·
Registered
701 Posts
To be honest, it is not really a problem of a specivic tranny - T45 vs. TR3650.
I have to say that the T45 are well known for having bad syncros; more often than the TR3650.
Usually the problem occurs if people just constantly rip through the gears, that really kills them.

2002 GT, T4 or TR3650?
Yes, that would be correct 2002 GT Do have the TR3650.

Recall on the T45?
They had something with the "pops out of reverse" but I don't know how ford handles that if the car is out of warranty/extended warranty.
My Dealership installed a new tranny (not rebuilt), new clutch assembly and throw out bearing for only $ 2,100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I talked to the mechanic he did mention that they had either a service notice or recall notice on file about this problem. I have done alot of research on this and have yet to find any notices about this problem...I think its just a known problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well congrats on the car anyway ... known problem or not. :winks
Perfect reason to get an upgraded shifter to 'hit' all those shifts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I kant spel

dallas02GT said:
I havent heard much on this! Can someone explain what the symptoms are?
Ford issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to it's service centers regarding the 3650 transmission's hard shifting and grinding noise on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. (especially when cold) It should only be a problem on 2001-1/2, 2002 and 2003 GTs. (The tranny was changed from the (T45?) halfway through 2001 and the problem was apparently fixed for the 2004 model year)

Anyway, the attached files are PDFs of the Ford TSB and include a description of the problem as well as Ford's recommended fix. I had mine done under warranty. But it would have cost about $1500 if they hadn't covered it, so it's not cheap. The tech told me that I basically had a completely new tranny after he was done rebuilding it -- he seemed to think it would've been cheaper for Ford to just put in brand new ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So at this point its still in the shop, waiting on the warranty company to send someone out to make sure they are going to cover it. Needless to say at this point I'm getting a little upset. Unfortunately there isn't awhole lot I can do about it.

on a sidenote has anyone here relocated the battery to the trunk? The one I bought had this done, i'm just curious to see if anyone else has done this.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I thought they didn't switch over to the T3650 until '03?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.