Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2004 mustang gt. I bought a timing kit that doesnt match original parts, and looks like it needs 1 bolt hole drilled and tapped. it's def for my car. It appears to line up. Is this a modification? Should i contact the seller? Also, the new timing kit looks to be a better design... less plastic. HELP!

·
Registered
257 Posts
There are many timing kits available and while most I have seen have not required drilling and tapping new holes, I will not say it should not or could not be. Yes most after market timing gears are very much of better design and quality. You should not have any worries about it being too good. The leess plastic and more metal is usually a good sign. The after market gears are also better made to where they have more accurate timing positioning. If you are doing this yourself then I will recommend you buy a diling in kit for this and follow the instructions to the letter. Do not just assume thta the timing mark say TDC so it must be that way. use the piston stop methods with the right tools and dial the cam in the right way. When you are done this extra time and patience will give you some extra ponies and you will also have the more reliable engine with no PTV issues for your rpm range. The 4.6 is an interference engine and especially after you have added cams etc.. You need to learn how to make sure that is taken care of and the timing is where alot have been able to gain big time. I have seen the adjustable gears and while I have used them myself they are a good way of getting everything just right when setup properly. If you do not follow the instructions exactly you will be sorry for not doing so. When in doubt ask, as guessing is not good, and timing is not a case where close enough cuts it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts