Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum, my name is Levi.
I have a 96 GT Convertible. So far I've switched the K-member out for chrome molly tubular, as well as the A arms and installed a coil over in the front, bump steer, caster-camber plates and a new steering rack and hydroboost.

The rear of the car I also went tubular with the upper and lower control arms and added new shocks.

I joined the forum because I don't have a lot of friends that are into mechanics and I could use some good advise on what to do.

I have a lot of money tied up in the front handling of this pony and still seem to be having some handling issues. Just doesn't seem to hug the road like I thought. wants to wander a little at times and when I go over washboard like bumps it almost feels like somethings loose up front. I've been over every bolt and had the alignment done twice and can't find any obvious issues.

If anyone has any solid advise for me I would appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
Levi, welcome to AFM.

I moved your thread to the Talk forum for a better response.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just joined the forum, my name is Levi.
I have a 96 GT Convertible. So far I've switched the K-member out for chrome molly tubular, as well as the A arms and installed a coil over in the front, bump steer, caster-camber plates and a new steering rack and hydroboost.

The rear of the car I also went tubular with the upper and lower control arms and added new shocks.

I joined the forum because I don't have a lot of friends that are into mechanics and I could use some good advise on what to do.

I have a lot of money tied up in the front handling of this pony and still seem to be having some handling issues. Just doesn't seem to hug the road like I thought. wants to wander a little at times and when I go over washboard like bumps it almost feels like somethings loose up front. I've been over every bolt and had the alignment done twice and can't find any obvious issues.

If anyone has any solid advise for me I would appreciate it.
Welcome. What size tires you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just running stock 225 60 16.
Want to go bigger but been getting mixed info on how large I can go in the rear and how wide I can go. A little hesitant till I get the handling issue figured out.

What do u recommend

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
What brand K member and coilovers did you get? Same question regarding the rear arms.

I ask because depending on brand or supplier, there are at least a few different manufacturer and supplier reps active on this site that may have familiarity with whatever you've got and be able to give some insight on getting everything set up properly. It sounds like you've been through basically everything so I'm kinda thinkin that something just needs to be tweaked a little.

As far as tire sizes go, unless your car is just plain slammed you should be able to run any of the 17x9/10.5" or 18x9/10" wheel and tire combos that all of the prominent Mustang aftermarket suppliers sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the k member, a arms, coil over, bumpsteer and caster camber plates from UPR Products.

The rear I think they are SVE. I got em on eBay.

The steering rack I got off eBay fro a company called Detroit axle company.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I suspect that the tires are the culprit. But an alignment with just a touch of toe-in will help the car feel less twitchy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have an apt to get the alignment checked Friday. Just had it done a couple months ago so we'll see. I also noticed the bushings where the steering rack mounts to the k member are shot. Brand new rack though with less than 5k on it.
With the UPR k member is there a specific rack I should be using or does stock work with that?
Is there upgraded bushings I can get for that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts