Ford Mustang Forum banner

New to the forum and I need advice asap!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ST-DAN 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

My name is Dane, and I'm a 27 year old attorney here in OKC, OK. Avid mustang enthusiast however, I am a "stock/original" kinda-guy. I have an all original, red on red 1988 hatchback 5.0 with just under 120K on it, a gift from my father the original owner. I have an all original, oxford white 1998 SVT Cobra with tan leather interior with just under 80k on it (it WAS for sale at $8.4K but now I may have to keep it).

But my question is regarding my newest baby, which is now a heart-break story. Anyway, I'm looking for some advise hoping to mend my broken-pony-heart on my newly acquired legendary lime, 2006 gt.

I haven't even had it long enough to put insurance on it, which is my major dilemma here. All I have had time to do is put brand new tires on it. It is in PERFECT condition (prior to Monday's ice storm) with 37k on the motor. One prior owner. tan leather, shaker sound, only run with mobile 1 fully synthetic, premium wheels, custom moon roof, and was gonna be my new, all-stock, baby.

I wrecked it-never wrecked in my life before, wasn't hot-dogg'n or being negligent and it wasn't at a high rate of speed (probably 30mph at most), but because of damaged parts- is likely totaled. I hit a wall, head-on, after sliding on ice. I managed to get it home and had it towed to a collision repair shop the following day. Its bad though. Here is the damage:

front clip- hood, bumper, bumper reinforce bracket, passenger fender, grill, lights, radiator, radiator support bracket, shroud, windshield (my head) and finally, the driver airbag...(there is probably some coolant lines and other small lines in need of replacement too but the above are the $$$ pieces). All-in-all, those parts from Ford are 7.7k w/o the labor costs of replacing. I was quoted $10,222.00 to have it back to perfect.

So where do I go from here? What is your advice? There is no other damage- the engine (37k), the frame, trany (5-speed), all doors, rear, interior, undercarriage, electric, etc. are all still in perfect shape. It still turns over and sounds perfect, absent the broken radiator.

Would you fix it? Would you use after-market parts? Used parts? I just bought it and this is the worst, non-death related experience of my life...the estimator told me that after-market products are cheaper for a reason and he can't guarantee a fit and will charge for labor if he has to take them off after his attempt. He also said used parts end up being almost as expensive if not more with labor, especially because of my pony's color. I need advice...

If your advice is to scrap it, which may be the case as it is hard to justify $10k plus in restoring a wrecked '06 gt, how much should I expect to recover? A salvage plunky offered my $4K on the spot for it but I told him I need to do some research...

I cannot do any of the work myself, but my body guy will use any parts that I choose, but I have never done anything like this. Really, all I have ever done, is buy nice originals and keep them cherry until I want a new one. Please help me blue-oval fans, tell me I didn't just explode 15.5grand.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to AFM!!

I, too, will have to do some research as well, since you are right on that edge of fix/total (I can pretty much tell you if it had been insured the insurance co would have totaled it).

I am moving this thread to the 2005-2010 Talk forum for better response.

#3 ·
Well I appreciate. I hope to hear some good news from someone. I would even be okay with having used parts on it, even if the paint didn't match for awhile. It would suck, but at least I could get her back one day. But i spent 3 hrs looking on the web to no avail. I know there has got to be a rear-end collision 05-09 GT somewhere that I could Frankenstein my ride's front end back together with...The worst is the airbag, that is like 1.7k off the top. Its just crazy to me how little damage it LOOKS like as compared to the cost of fixing it. Coupled with the mechanics of it being still perfect I am really torn as to what to do...$4k just seems like such a kick in the mouth

#4 ·
Glad your ok. If it was a matter of just replacing parts and pieces and some paint, I would probably fix it if you are really attached to the car and plan on keeping it forever. But if we are talking possible frame and suspension damage, you might be better off letting it go. Also, after a hit like that, it is possible you will forever be chasing squeaks and rattles that can be very hard and frustrating to solve. It really does depend on how attached you are to the vehicle. I'm sure you will be able to find another low mileage Stang, it just might take some searching.

#6 ·
Welcome, sorry about your ride, but glad you made it out.

It would probably cost less to transplant the powertrain into the 88. 10k is a lot considering the market value. I would do more research before scrapping it, plus if you're going to scrap it, you may as well get as much of the good stuff off of it as possible before letting it go.

#7 ·
According to KBB, Private Party value on a 2006 GT Premium with 37k miles is in Very Good Condition $16,626 (seems a little high) so I guess fixing it could still be worth it.

#8 ·
Unfortunately, I also am leaning toward scrapping it. I loved the car but I don't think I can justify 10k for a GT....ugh, sick to my stomach. Anybody have advice on what I can get for it? is $4k fair?

Like I said, drive train, interior, and all parts other than what was listed in the first post are undamaged. Also, the tires are brand new (Goodyear). premium package. FML. I can't believe this happened, i wasn't even speeding, ugh. after all the dumb **** i've done in cars, this is how i get bit...

also, i looked into a drivetrain swap...that is also CRAZY expensive...not an option...

#9 ·
Hey, you walked away. You're still in once piece. One of those life lessons. You're young and working, you will recoup the cash. I like to think there is a grander plan in life, sort of like when you're running late for something and something else gets in the way and slows you down even more, perhaps, it's for a reason.

I wouldn't fix the car. I love these s197s but they get rattles on their own when they've never hit anything - that kind of a smack most likely knocked stuff all around. And, as mentioned, if she's a tad racked you'll be replacing tires and other bits far too soon and regularly.

Is it possible to fix the car? Sure. Almost any car can be re-built, but I wouldn't in this case.

Enjoy the other Mustangs you have, chalk this one up to experience and down the line get another one.

Just life, my friend.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.