Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally picked up a mustang was I need someone to explain to me what is the benefits of an H pipe. Is this more for sound or is there a performance benefit for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,050 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Well I finally picked up a mustang was I need someone to explain to me what is the benefits of an H pipe. Is this more for sound or is there a performance benefit for it.
Stock it has an “H pipe.” Aftermarket H pipes are larger in diameter which result in a louder exhaust note and possibly a little more power. There are also X pipes, Y pipes, and “straight pipes.” The proper term for these are Mid Pipes. H and X describes their shapes. What is a Midpipe and Why Do You NEED One?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
With regards to “H” versus “X” pipes, the “H” was originally conceived to balance the two separate exhaust pulses to create 1) smoothness & 2) reduce the “brapp” sound, later marketing guys started promoting the performance benefits although at the time and as verified in later dyno tests, there was little to no performance gain. The “X” pipe is in essence trying to simulate the effects of a 180 degree exhaust system whereby discharging the exhaust on opposite pipes creates a “vacuum” effect literally sucking the next exhaust pulse out, creating less back pressure etc….and it is effective. There are several ways to verify the location of where it should be installed and swag is not a good thing & can actually have a negative impact. Typically the install would go about ½ way between the mufflers & header/manifold…..the location, you can either use an IR gun and look for the hottest spot or take a swag of where the location is, take sone paint & paint a thin line down that area….drive the car for about 10-15 minutes with a couple full throttle short accel’s, then look for where the paint is blistered….this is the “area of confusion” and where the x-pipe should be installed.

Reactions: my89foxbody

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
With regards to “H” versus “X” pipes, the “H” was originally conceived to balance the two separate exhaust pulses to create 1) smoothness & 2) reduce the “brapp” sound, later marketing guys started promoting the performance benefits although at the time and as verified in later dyno tests, there was little to no performance gain. The “X” pipe is in essence trying to simulate the effects of a 180 degree exhaust system whereby discharging the exhaust on opposite pipes creates a “vacuum” effect literally sucking the next exhaust pulse out, creating less back pressure etc….and it is effective. There are several ways to verify the location of where it should be installed and swag is not a good thing & can actually have a negative impact. Typically the install would go about ½ way between the mufflers & header/manifold…..the location, you can either use an IR gun and look for the hottest spot or take a swag of where the location is, take sone paint & paint a thin line down that area….drive the car for about 10-15 minutes with a couple full throttle short accel’s, then look for where the paint is blistered….this is the “area of confusion” and where the x-pipe should be installed.
Plenty of little to no gains reported with an X too. It all comes back to whether the mid pipe is a restriction or not. More times than not the stock “bolt-on” parts can support stock power and often more.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
yeah, not alot to be gained these days by changing those pipes

warning to OP: do not be fooled by "off road H-pipe" -- "off road" means it is not legal for use on the road in the US, because it does not have catalytic converters . . . gains are minimal, you might get away with it in some locations

Reactions: 90lxwhite
1 - 7 of 7 Posts