Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellow Cruisers,I am new here,and Will purchase a 1966 Mustang Coupe,She drives,Handles very good.Has a few paint bubbles under her door,and Fenders,Back Fenders. 240 straight 6 ,4 speed manual shift,90% original,has a am/fm/cd in glove box,But the original am radio is there.Has Moderate " Sun/Heat warping" on her dash,But will run,drive,stop,and like new tires,all around. Has several new components under the hood,like, belts,Points,Water Pump,Pullys,and such,Been Tuned up,and is ready to roll for $4,000 Has Matching numbers,and 39,900 original Miles( Uncomfirmed),So,The question is,Am I going to make a mistake on the purchasing.I have been in touch with owner.and awaiting more pics.Supposed to be clear under carriagw as well.The reason,lol,for the most part,Umm,well it is me and my wifes 10th anniversary,and her dream car,is a 1965 mustang convertable,Manual shift,preferably V8,But do to the fact that I am only a Delivery driver,make ,almost 1900 take home a month,I couldnt find one for no less than 13.5k,and it was a 1968,with an Auto.I appreciate any advice,or figures as to how much that fixing up would cost,It was Labled" A Nice Daily Driver,While doing Cosmetic Restoration"The paint is very,very nice on her too =)I do have the cash,and I will probably opt to go get it and drive back in it. If need be,you can Email me,I am not a collector ,But I Love the older Muscle,cars,and am used to a 1976 Ctlass Braghm,350 Rocket,from Fan,to Transmission tail,As well I have a 2009 Corolla( For Delivery purposes obviously).So I do know the first rule of Ownership for classics,or anything I suppose with wheels,In My opinion" Be Respectful of it,Take care of it,and it will take care of you,and you never ever have complete control"

G

·
Welcome to AFM! Let me move this to the classic section for you and see what the guys and gals there think.

Thanks for joining and keep us posted!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
A convertible as a rust bucket go for 5k one that could be restored around 8k one you can drive today 10k.The common rust spots are the cowl vent it will rust out on the inside and its hard to see.But its easy to test garden hose in the vent holes under the windshield normally the water should drain out under the front fenders.If it pours out inside the car the cowl is rusted out,To repair the cowl you gotta pull the windshield out and cut about 100 something spot welds to get to it.The frame rails will rust out from the inside so knock on them and listen for a change in the sound to find thin spots.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
4000 sounds like a nice price. Pictures would help, but a car this old that has been taken care of and only has 30+K miles sounds real tempting. And the amount you spend "fixing it up" will depend on your will power. You can freshen up the paint (with elbow grease and wax) and power spray the engine compartment for 30$ and call it good. Or you can replace the most worn part on it and then realize that the next worn looking part now looks worse and start the dominoe effect and spend 20-30K if you do all the work or 100K if you job it out.

These cars are pretty cheap to keep going, but it's the cosmetics that get real expensive, espesially combined with their rust problems. Make sure you really research and inspect that car for rust. Like Andrew says, the cowl is a nasty place to have a problem. To fix it right, it's not just the window that comes out. It's both fenders (and all the parts around them, bumper and, buckets, grill?, rocker trim, etc), hood, window trim, A-pillar pads dash pad & innner pad trim. And the dominoe effect takes place and your hooked.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Awesome, Thanx all. I did talk to Oriellys,Bulldog Muscle( Guthrie Area),and they all said,Could be a lot of work,But maybe not,But either way,It is worth grabbing,and she should impress the lady quite well.They also said I could do this all over time,Best done by me,and a bit of help,Purpose being,Much more pride in it than if you job it out,I do have a friend that works for BodyWorx,here in town,Said he would LOVE to see this,Bet me a certain amount,that I would throw a couple tools at least,Maybe even break a toe ! LOL,=P I already sit aside the $50 lol,But as was stated,It is a test of will,and a certain satisfaction,Seeing my wifes reaction,and late night cruises..Maybe even a few days of showing off to customers for my job,LOL,PRICELESS =).I dont plan on making her a Show car,I know a few,with Impalas,Stangs,and a few chargers that just build them enough to bring several more years of " Remember Me..I am still here". Just gonna be a Daily Drive,except for Rain and snow,Here in Okl,that can be a Pain to say the least at times,I suppose I can roll with the other classics at times,Perhaps even the 89er perades =D,I am waiting for another 20 Pics,of this pony,Then,if all goes well..I suppose it is off to NC!! I Sooo hope!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts