Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get a new transmission and wanted to see what you guys think of the FMS WC T5 Z? I do plan on rebuilding my motor some time this year but right now the Trans has hard shifting, pops out of gear. I don't plan on going really radical on the motor but do plan on getting about 300 to 350 hp out of the motor and the car might see some track days and maybe a couple of 1/4 runs. Other than that it will be a daily driver and that's about it. :kooky:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
The T5Z with 2.95 first gear (close ratio) is the best T5 you can get. Will work nice with the 3.73s.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Now here's my question:

Is it worth the money to rebuild a transmission, or buy a brand new one?

Currently, I'm sitting on that one and don't know whether I want to rebuild my current transmission, or buy a new one.

One day, I aspire to be over the 500 HP mark. If it's best for me to buy a new transmission for the long run, I'll do it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I would think that you should buy a new one because your need something that is going to hold all that power. A Tremec would be you best bet. I don't plan on a whole lot of power for my little pony right now so that's why I'm thinking of the WC T5 Z. I plan on having around 350 hp.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thank you, thank you.

Anyone have suggestions on what type of transmission I should be looking at? A good place to buy it, perhaps?

·
Registered
183 Posts
check out the g force t5 with syncro's it about the same price as the tremmec. by sticking with the t5 you will not have to change the bellhouseing. there rated for about 500 hp. also if your case is good you can upgrade your t5. you will need to to change the clutch disc to a 28 spline. t5's are fairly simple to work on. you just need a press for the bearings and the 3/4 syncro

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont know much about any other transmissions, but all I know is that as far as transmissions go, Tremec is the top of the line. Everyone I know wants a TKOfor their stang.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Anyone wanna buy my TKO? I'm thinking of switching to a C4.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just put a brand new t5-z in my 68, and it is REALLY hard to shift.

i'ts gotten a little better after about 50 miles, but still not near as smooth as my old t5. i'm just gonna drive it and see if things get smoother as it breaks in.

anybody else had this problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.