Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had the ammeter on our '66 converted to volt meter by Bob at Classic Cougar.

After getting new meter installed, the needle oscillates (quivers) with any increase in engine RPM. At an idle, the needle is steady. I have tried different ground points and different points for 12 volts. On a temporary basis, the meter is hooked to a good ground under the dash and a wire straight to the battery - no help.

I do have an electronic voltage regulator. Maybe that is causing the problem?

OR, do I need a capacitor on the positive lug of the meter? If so what size cap?

I've checked grounds (using a good DVM) at the voltage regulator, under the dash, to the engine, to the body. Non of them are over .5 - .3 of an ohm. One lead of the meter connected to the negative battery cable, the other lead to the point I am checking.

I'm not finding fault with the new meter, it is showing what is going on with the voltage.

I would appreciate your thoughts on how to get the meter to read better - thanks

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
have you used your dvm to check the voltage at battery to see if it is indeed oscillating just like the voltmeter in the dash? if it is, i would suspect the regulator. if it's not, i would suspect the new volt meter

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you used your dvm to check the voltage at battery to see if it is indeed oscillating just like the voltmeter in the dash? if it is, i would suspect the regulator. if it's not, i would suspect the new volt meter
Thanks for the reply

I did the volt meter on the battery, and the voltage does vary by .3 to .5 per volt. Also, when I rev the engine, I don't see any increase the battery voltage. Seems real steady at 14.65 no mater the RPM.

I also read that checking at the battery with the DVM set on AC will show a bad diode. Mine doesn't show any AC, so am assuming the Alternator is good?

·
Registered
33 Posts
14.65 is too high, i would bet your regulator is bad. 14.2 is about where it should be, at most

1 - 4 of 4 Posts