Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I didn't find any threads already asking about the questions I have so If there was sorry about this. But I had some questions about some new wheels and Tires for my 2010 GT. I was looking into buying some new 20" chrome foose nitrous wheels as well as new tires to replace the stock gt premium 19" wheels that I have now. So my concern is the tires that I was looking at were the nitto NT555's which would come in 255/35 - 20s for the front and 285/30 - 20s for the back. Right now I have the Pirelli 245/45 - 19s all around and to my understanding these new Nittos would be a little smaller which would make my speedometer read incorrectly wouldn't it? If so then is there away to adjust the speedometer for the New wheels and tires to read correctly? And my last question was whether or not anybody has already purchased these wheels and how they like them?? Pictures are encouraged :gringreen Thanks!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Hey guys I didn't find any threads already asking about the questions I have so If there was sorry about this. But I had some questions about some new wheels and Tires for my 2010 GT. I was looking into buying some new 20" chrome foose nitrous wheels as well as new tires to replace the stock gt premium 19" wheels that I have now. So my concern is the tires that I was looking at were the nitto NT555's which would come in 255/35 - 20s for the front and 285/30 - 20s for the back. Right now I have the Pirelli 245/45 - 19s all around and to my understanding these new Nittos would be a little smaller which would make my speedometer read incorrectly wouldn't it? If so then is there away to adjust the speedometer for the New wheels and tires to read correctly? And my last question was whether or not anybody has already purchased these wheels and how they like them?? Pictures are encouraged :gringreen Thanks!
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
says you will be going 2.1 mph faster with the new wheels
buy a tuner and get more HP and TQ as well as the ability to adjust tire sizes!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I would not go with 20's. I had them and didn't like them. They were too big and had bad ride quality. Sold those and bought 18's and I would never go back.

And like ^^ said, tuner can recalibrate the speedo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks guys! Would one of the bama custom tuners from American muscle be able to adjust the speedo for the tires??

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Okay thanks guys! Would one of the bama custom tuners from American muscle be able to adjust the speedo for the tires??
When I did my suspension and wheel upgrade (19" Shelby GT500 wheels), I had the stock wheels off sitting next to the new ones. I took a tape measure and compared. They were just over 1/8" off.... so I didn't need a speedo update. Based off the knowledge I gained (talking to the Mustang experts in my community and speed shops I deal with), they told me anything within a 1/2" total diameter and you don't need an adjustment.

But to answer your question, yes, the tuners give you control to input tire size to adjust the speedo. (Make sure you ask for end user controls when you order it.)

And I love my 19"s... and really it's all personal preference. Some people like traditional muscle car look with smaller wheels with lots of rubber, while others like big wheels with rubber band low profiles tires. Either way, as long as you like it and it drives to your liking...GO FOR IT! I have ZERO complaints with the drivability of my 19s (255/40 and 285/35s) and I'm on the trecherous Michigan bumpy roads. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
297 Posts
20" tires for those new wheels are expensive, not saying it's not worth it for the look you want...you'll pay the price for replacement though.

my first Mustang ran on 14" wheels, i miss those prices for rubber.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks guys! I think I'm going to go for it. I don't think the ride would bug me too much because the majority of my driving is on smooth freeways so hopefully I like them! And I guess I'll invest in a tuner sometime also, the extra performance I'm assuming I will like haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts