Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone install the new wms cai yet , if so how do you like it ? im still torn between which cai to get . jlt looks good and for the price ,real good. wms looks interesting , with possibly the most hp gains . just not sure yet , need help . thx vynle.:laughlitt

·
Registered
340 Posts
vynle said:
anyone install the new wms cai yet , if so how do you like it ? im still torn between which cai to get . jlt looks good and for the price ,real good. wms looks interesting , with possibly the most hp gains . just not sure yet , need help . thx vynle.:laughlitt
Vynle, are you familiar with WMS products? Have you had work with them? I have in the past and they are some of the best in the business. I'm just waiting for Santa to bring me the CAI WMS. Lov'in the 05 Pony!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive read their schematics and hp gains . think its a great product i just want some conformation. very expensive espeacially w ram air product . just wish more peeps had this cai. with a tuner i bet you could see hp gains into the high 30s . they claim what 25 rwhp if i recall with no tune. just wish someone actuly had it.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks awesome i would love to see some gains in the 30 HP range that would be awesome! keep this thread updated if anyone trys it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm, very interesting. However, it seems the "ram air" box would restrict everything to the very small gap when hood is shut. And the prop rod would be in the way and cause turbulance.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I call BS!

·
Registered
324 Posts
"Ram" air is a myth anyway. The only thing a ram air setup can do is get colder air into your engine. What I would be worried about is wistling and other noise from the small gap when the hood is shut.

alfman9 said:
Hmm, very interesting. However, it seems the "ram air" box would restrict everything to the very small gap when hood is shut. And the prop rod would be in the way and cause turbulance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fleg said:
"Ram" air is a myth anyway. The only thing a ram air setup can do is get colder air into your engine. What I would be worried about is wistling and other noise from the small gap when the hood is shut.
Isn't getting more colder air into the engine the premise of ram air?
I do see your concern with the unit whistling, etc., but their results seem well documented.
I'm surprised nobody has used the '05 Mustang's obvious lack of aerodynamics to their advantage to somehow ram air into the intake. Sort of what WMS is doing, but with a conical design to actually speed up the air by using the speed of the car (conical and gradually reducing the size of the intake).
I'm no mechanic, just seems like common sense.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most people think Ram Air is actually using the speed of a vehicle to pressurize the air going into the intake. That isn't how it works.
You get cold air with a ram air setup but not pressurized air.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fleg said:
Most people think Ram Air is actually using the speed of a vehicle to pressurize the air going into the intake. That isn't how it works.
You get cold air with a ram air setup but not pressurized air.
Actually it is. It's just that to gain any measurable performance from it, you need to be going about 150 MPH. At typical city and hiway speeds, it produces squat. Generally 7/10th of 1 percent at 100 MPH.

You're really better off pulling the air off the base of the windshield. This is typically an area of high pressure. Simply put, air that is slowed down builds up high pressures, while air that is accelerated lowers pressures.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a Pontiac guy(this mustang is my first Ford and new car) this is debated in that circle alot. It depends on the placement of the scoops. If its inthe windstream, then it will "ram" air in and depending on temp, humidity, hopfully making it denser. Sitting still and until you get some speed, the only advantage is drawing in cooler air from outside the engine compartment. I have seen dynos from different makes and models of pontiacs and they all gained some from having scoops. They look good too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so hey someone plz buy this and put it on so this product can be confirmed or denyed . if i had won the lotto last night i would hav been the guine pig but lotto luck will hav to wait till tuesday.lol. seriously seems like this could be the xxxx look at ram air intake it seems to use the mustangs lack of areodynamics in the front to its advantage which in turn prob. keeps the hotter air at bay to allow colder air in . forgive me im stupid .if anyone from this co. sees this thread plz send it to me .ill test it and ill tell everyone if its good or bonk . k . k thx vynle:laughlitt

·
Registered
172 Posts
This CAI has been discussed a lot on some of the other Mustang forums.

Personally I see a potential problem with this setup... especially in an area that gets lots of rain. If water is splashed onto the front of the car while its moving, whats stopping it from getting sucked under the hood, onto the ram air tray, and into the intake? With the ram air tray funneling air from almost all of the front of the hood this seems like it might be a potential risk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's another thread today about hood scoops - the kind you tape on!:shrug

Anyhow, anyone have any dyno with functional hood scoops? I know that the air from functional hood scoops is not really rammed in, but nevertheless it's better then under-the hood air...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Regarding the RAM inlet I have no idea, doesn't sound and look too smart! The intake/filter is NOT as good as most well mounted cones!

Regrading hood scoops, if the scoop was in the front corner of the hood it would work. Up in the middle (symetric, retro?) ontop of the engine it and the tubing gets too hot. On a dyno with the hood closed and a big a$$ commercial fan blowing full boost the air temp came down 1.5 centigrades, for 1 RWHP, could be a meassuring error. I'm sure at speed it's better... Or a Cobra ram air in the front... or two, one on each side... or a cooled SC should ram enough cold, dens air for most... :winks

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.