Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading the posts on this forum for awhile, but just now decided to join. I am a first time Mustang owner (since June of this year) and have a 05' GT automatic.

I did some minor mods to the car: a S&B CAI, Helix Power Tower Throttle-body Spacer, and Flowmaster mufflers. The S&B is supposed to add 25 RWHP with no tune, the Spacer 5-10. I've read in several posts and magazines that the auto Gt's average around 250 to 255 rwhp. So, I decide to take my car to a dyno to get tuned and tested and see what I got.

This is where things get depressing. Now, I wasn't expecting 350+ rwhp, but I was looking for 280-290. Once on the dyno, I was pulling 232 rwhp and 255 trq. How sad is that? Anyway, I'm thinking that it's because of the mods and the tune will fix it. Well, after an hour + of tuning, my final numbers are 232 rwhp and 269 trq.

Could this be right? I just can't seem to believe the car could be this weak. The guys at this shop are well known in the area (2 hours from me) and tune modified Mustangs all the time. To make things worse, now my check engine light is coming on with P0172 & P0175 which are both system too rich.

Just to let you know, this what my first Dyno experience so I'm very new to tuning and dynoing. I do know the dyno is a SuperFlow and he said it the Mustang dyno type. The car feels like it runs 10X better than before, but the numbers are embarrassing.

I apologize for the long post, I guess I'm venting. I'm just wondering if anybody thinks this could be right, or if anybody else has had such low performance numbers.

Thanks and I enjoy all the posts.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah sounds like there is something wrong with 232 hp. I could understand 250...but 230....damn thats low. How does the engine runs...any funny noises? I'd get it checked out. Sounds like the tune. If the A/F ratio isn't right, you wont run well...not sure how that factors into HP...but thats probably it.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
It has been said quite a bit on this forum that if you change the airflow components, you are going to have to tune it. Even if the manuf. says you don't have to.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also have a 2005 GT w/automatic and originally had the same mods as you do...

Got my car dynoed but because my tuner did not lock 4th gear in, my dyno numbers were also in the 250 - 260RWHP range...

You must create a tune which locks the 4th gear so you can get a true dyno number reading...

This tune is only for dynoing the car...

After you dyno it, then re-load the custom tune for street driving and drive away...

You will never know what the true numbers are until this is done because a dyno pull in 2nd gear of an automatic will not produce useable numbers...

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. The re-tune for 4th gear really makes sense. I can also see why the guy didn't do it. I imagine it takes more time, and I was down there on a Saturday. He probably didn't want to spend anymore time with it since I'm not modded very much.

To answer another reply above, the car makes no funny noises and seems to run great. I do still have the engine light on though.

Looks like I will make an appointment with Delk Performance (recommended) and see what happens.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
belew01 said:
Thanks for the comments. The re-tune for 4th gear really makes sense. I can also see why the guy didn't do it. I imagine it takes more time, and I was down there on a Saturday. He probably didn't want to spend anymore time with it since I'm not modded very much.
To answer another reply above, the car makes no funny noises and seems to run great. I do still have the engine light on though.

Looks like I will make an appointment with Delk Performance (recommended) and see what happens.

Thanks to all
I hope that's not his philosophy, that he's not gunna spend too much time on it cuz you're not really modded. Bamachips and Brenspeed have great customer service and an even better reputation cuz they help you out until the car is running as it should dispite the mods you have.

How did he get a good reputation in tuning if you came out with an intake, exhaust, and 25 less HP?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ok... I've never heard of Superflow... but if it is in fact like a Mustang dyno than i'm going to assume it reads like a Mustang dyno... which means it reads about 12% lower than a DynoJet... That being said your 232RWHP could be more like 260RWHP on a Dynojet...

As far as your mods... don't believe the marketing hype... most mods don't come close to their advertised gains...

Also... it is possible to dyno an automatic without locking it in 4th... it's tricky but I have seen Lidio at Alternative Auto do it....

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had my automatic dyno'ed. The tech let it run through the gears at about 1800 rpm and after it shifted into 5th he shut down the overdrive and accelerated smoothly to 6K. The car read 290 HP and 301 torque.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
2horseowner said:
I had my automatic dyno'ed. The tech let it run through the gears at about 1800 rpm and after it shifted into 5th he shut down the overdrive and accelerated smoothly to 6K. The car read 290 HP and 301 torque.
Yep... sounds about right! LOL! Only other thing is there tends to be a artificial spike where the torque converter locks up... (of coures if you have a dyno tune you can lock the TC up early so it doesn't show up...)

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
belew01 said:
Hey guys, I've been reading the posts on this forum for awhile, but just now decided to join. I am a first time Mustang owner (since June of this year) and have a 05' GT automatic.

I did some minor mods to the car: a S&B CAI, Helix Power Tower Throttle-body Spacer, and Flowmaster mufflers. The S&B is supposed to add 25 RWHP with no tune, the Spacer 5-10. I've read in several posts and magazines that the auto Gt's average around 250 to 255 rwhp. So, I decide to take my car to a dyno to get tuned and tested and see what I got.

This is where things get depressing. Now, I wasn't expecting 350+ rwhp, but I was looking for 280-290. Once on the dyno, I was pulling 232 rwhp and 255 trq. How sad is that? Anyway, I'm thinking that it's because of the mods and the tune will fix it. Well, after an hour + of tuning, my final numbers are 232 rwhp and 269 trq.

Could this be right? I just can't seem to believe the car could be this weak. The guys at this shop are well known in the area (2 hours from me) and tune modified Mustangs all the time. To make things worse, now my check engine light is coming on with P0172 & P0175 which are both system too rich.

Just to let you know, this what my first Dyno experience so I'm very new to tuning and dynoing. I do know the dyno is a SuperFlow and he said it the Mustang dyno type. The car feels like it runs 10X better than before, but the numbers are embarrassing.

I apologize for the long post, I guess I'm venting. I'm just wondering if anybody thinks this could be right, or if anybody else has had such low performance numbers.

Thanks and I enjoy all the posts.
Yeah, something isn't adding up. Stock automatic GTs figuring a 15% drivetrain loss should dyno around 255. While there's no way an S&B untuned is going to give 25 rwhp, I would expect maybe 8-10 from the CAI and 2-3 from the flowmasters (untuned). So around 265-270. Wouldn't count on anything from the TB spacer. I ran one for about 3 weeks --worthless. Clearly your A/F is off if you're throwing those codes. One thing I'm not clear on... Did you actually have it dyno tuned?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did have it dyno tuned. I first ordered a SCT X2 and talked to the guys over the phone to tell them my mods and such. They sent me the tuner with their custom tune on it and I flashed the car myself. About a month later (which was last Saturday), I decided to let them tweak it in person, plus I was curious what the car was running. They tuned it on the dyno 3 or 4 times, with no HP gain, but I got about 13 more torque out of it.

The program they had also calculates what you would pull on a Dynojet, and that only got me about 10 more HP. Their dyno showed 232 HP, the "Dynojet" was at 241. Both were low to me. I'm going to try another shop and see if I can get some normal numbers.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
belew01 said:
I did have it dyno tuned. I first ordered a SCT X2 and talked to the guys over the phone to tell them my mods and such. They sent me the tuner with their custom tune on it and I flashed the car myself. About a month later (which was last Saturday), I decided to let them tweak it in person, plus I was curious what the car was running. They tuned it on the dyno 3 or 4 times, with no HP gain, but I got about 13 more torque out of it.

The program they had also calculates what you would pull on a Dynojet, and that only got me about 10 more HP. Their dyno showed 232 HP, the "Dynojet" was at 241. Both were low to me. I'm going to try another shop and see if I can get some normal numbers.
Those numbers are puzzling. Was that on 93 octane? What did the A/F ratio look like on the dyno? Can you post your dyno graph?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, it's a 93 octane tune. I don't know the exact A/F tuning, but I do know he said when I got there I was running pretty lean. Now with the engine code it says I'm too rich. The shop tells me its the O2 sensors reading the extra fuel and they are going to send me a tune via email to kill the engine codes.

I will post the dyno graph when I can get to a scanner.

Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
belew01 said:
Yep, it's a 93 octane tune. I don't know the exact A/F tuning, but I do know he said when I got there I was running pretty lean. Now with the engine code it says I'm too rich. The shop tells me its the O2 sensors reading the extra fuel and they are going to send me a tune via email to kill the engine codes.

Dear Belew01,

I had the same problem with my car and the dyno tuner who tried to tune my car...

He worked on my car for 4 hours but could not fix the CEL light from coming on...

Then I called JDM Engineering and talked to Jim Jr. about my problem...

He suggested that I send the tuner to him so that he could write a program and load it into my tuner...

Got the tuner back, loaded the tune into my car...

Car runs great, more power and no CEL Light...

Save yourself some grief and call Jim Jr. @ 1-732-780-0770...

Dave

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts