Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on this site for gears???

I post in another mustang forum and they all say 4.10 minumum for a daily driver GT.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Honk

If your drive is like mine +50 miles I would go with 3:73's or 3:90's.........4:10's are really for the track or short daily drives......
JMOP
TK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TK421DS said:
If your drive is like mine +50 miles I would go with 3:73's or 3:90's.........4:10's are really for the track or short daily drives......
JMOP
TK
that is what i was thinking. i have talked with ford mechanics who say that 4.10s are hard on your engine and tranny too. i was thinking about 3.73s and getting an Xcaliber tuner. that will be good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
373s are pretty much the most commonly used, 390s are what i would use if you want more. 410 gears are very low, especially for a daily driver.

i personally am going with 390s in future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are a hardcore racer, then go 4.10's or higher.

But if you plan to "occaisionally" go to the race track, I think 3.90's would be a nice compromise. With the price of gas today, if its your daily driver, the 3.73's are still a great improvement over stock (3.27's).

So really, it all comes down to what you plan to do with your Stang. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, that's what counts. :thumbup

·
Registered
276 Posts
pony_xpress said:
What is the general consensus on this site for gears???

I post in another mustang forum and they all say 4.10 minumum for a daily driver GT.
Mine's a daily driver with a few road trips thrown in, so I went with 3.73's. Still sitting in my garage but not for long.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
how do you get 27mpg quick..... do you have a V6 the mpg. on a mustang are 17 city and 25 hiway....... ands 410s would drop your mpg ...... especially if you are hiway driving.

i get 22 driving like a granny about 20 driving normal with some gas hitting. and check sig for mods

390s or 373s unless you are a racer .

go with what you want though just use us for advice go with what you personally want.

·
Registered
342 Posts
carguy1985 said:
how do you get 27mpg quick..... do you have a V6 the mpg. on a mustang are 17 city and 25 hiway....... ands 410s would drop your mph ...... especially if you are hiway driving.

i get 22 driving like a granny about 2 driving normal with some gas hitting. and check sig for mods

390s or 373s unless you are a racer .

go with what you want though just use us for advice go with what you personally want.

I got 29 when it was bone stock.

Most of that is in the tuning that was done.

The difference at 80mph is a thousand rpm between the stock 2.73's and the 4.10's. With proper tuning the mpg does not change on the hwy.

The thing is thinking that 3.73's or 3.90's get better mileage than 4.10's is not really a good suggestion. Between all 3 of those ratios at cruise RPM there is only a couple hundred rpm difference.

All three with the same driver will get the same mileage. Also when going to different gears get it tuned, it helps your mileage as well as helps the power in the upper rpm ranges.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
um... what year mustang do you have because at least 99-04 has 327 gears not 237.

how are you going to tell me that 410s get better gas milage when especially in city....and revs are really high.

·
Registered
342 Posts
carguy1985 said:
um... what year mustang do you have because at least 99-04 has 327 gears not 237.

how are you going to tell me that 410s get better gas milage when especially in city....and revs are really high.
I have a 97 and the stock gears were 2.73

the only time your revs are higher is on the highway. Putting 4.10's in makes you use fifth as it were fourth in the city and so on. As long as your foots not in it your motor doesnt work as hard to get the car moving and the revs are the same as stock which saves gas especially in the city.

Think about how much more torque multiplication you have with 4.10's vs 2.73's.

I put about 200 miles a week on it and the gas consumption never changed.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
ok well... thats cool then, i am personally going with 390s because i wanna keep some good rpm on hiway

·
Registered
77 Posts
qwkstang97 said:
mods in sig with 4.10's and I get 27mpg.

Go 4.10's
I have 3.73's and the best mileage I have gotten was 23 MPG on a round trip from Sacramento to Reno. Overall, I average 17-20 MPG. (See mods in sig.)

Your's is the first one I've heard of that gets as high as 27 MPG with 4.10's, but if true, it sounds like your Stang might be a freak and not representative of the typical Mustang.

If anyone else on here is getting 27 MPG or better with 4.10's, I'd like you to chime in too. Otherwise, if guys out there are thinking they will also get 27 MPG with 4.10's as a daily driver, they will be in for a major disappointment.

Not intending to flame you qwkstang97. Just don't want others to be mis-led by your good fortune.

·
Registered
342 Posts
flipnsac said:
I have 3.73's and the best mileage I have gotten was 23 MPG on a round trip from Sacramento to Reno. Overall, I average 17-20 MPG. (See mods in sig.)

Your's is the first one I've heard of that gets as high as 27 MPG with 4.10's, but if true, it sounds like your Stang might be a freak and not representative of the typical Mustang.

If anyone else on here is getting 27 MPG or better with 4.10's, I'd like you to chime in too. Otherwise, if guys out there are thinking they will also get 27 MPG with 4.10's as a daily driver, they will be in for a major disappointment.

Not intending to flame you qwkstang97. Just don't want others to be mis-led by your good fortune.

Its not misleading at all.

Notice in my second post I said something about tuning.

·
Registered
77 Posts
qwkstang97 said:
Its not misleading at all.

Notice in my second post I said something about tuning.
Sorry about that, but you also said at bone stock you got 29 MPG. Not many Mustangs I know get that. That's why I wondered if it was something about your particular car (good fortune).

Could you expand on "tuning"? Are you talking about burning a custom chip? Or are you talking about a dyno-tune with adjustments to A-F ratio? Cuz if you can get 27 MPG with 4.10's, I should at least be able to match that with my 3.73's. Yes?

·
Registered
342 Posts
flipnsac said:
Sorry about that, but you also said at bone stock you got 29 MPG. Not many Mustangs I know get that. That's why I wondered if it was something about your particular car (good fortune).

Could you expand on "tuning"? Are you talking about burning a custom chip? Or are you talking about a dyno-tune with adjustments to A-F ratio? Cuz if you can get 27 MPG with 4.10's, I should at least be able to match that with my 3.73's. Yes?

Almost all of the road trips I have taken in friends cars around here have gotten 26-29 mileage on the interstate. Now thats with the cruise on and little slowing or stopping. Of course that will change the more you speed up and slow down.

I drive pretty much non stop to dallas 3 times a year so its fairly accurate. and the reason I use that figure is for the guys that are worried about road trips or they drive a hunderd miles to and from work a day.

Now the tuning part was a dyno tune. The reason i say get the gears get the tune is that on a stock motor you may pick up 4-5 peak HP with a tune but after 5000 on to redline the stock programs add quite a bit of fuel to save the cats. When you lean that out you gain quite a bit of power up top. After my PI swap comparing the numbers at 6100rpm was a 20hp and 20tq increase after tuning. With the gears you are in that range faster and more often when you are beating on it so it only makes sense to get some extra juice up top.

With any of the tuning that has been done on my car there was some time spent on part throttle/cruise driveability. If you get a good tuner he will do that and he may get you a mpg or two extra.

Of course its not the same on all cars and it also depends on the gas that is available to you. Oxygenated fuels are good for dropping your mileage a little bit unless you tune for that particular fuel.

Whether or not you match that mpg is not really something I can say for sure but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently went with the 4:10's and took a trip like three days after getting them and got 25mpg. Now in town if i drive good and not have the car sideways all the time i can get about 20mpg. However the worst that i have had is 16 mainly because i can't keep my foot out of it! :)

The new gears sure are fun!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
thanks, thats what i was trying to explain and talka bout, bone stock car getting 29... hrmmm im not calling you a liar but your cars just a freak lol.

i got 22mg driving like a old lady with mine stock.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
One day I will be getting gear`s , what is this I keep hearing about 4.10`s being bad for you trans and engine !
Is it bad ,or what ? any INFO on this ,thanks !

·
Registered
393 Posts
Gears

:worship
I love my 3.73's. Great all around choice. Average of about 24 -25 mpg, day in and day out. Mine would break 30 mpg when on the highway when it was stock.
:sterb:
With todays gas prices, I might even look at 3.55's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.