Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to go:
1. Have the carb that's on the car rebuilt, which may have been played with in the past.
2. Buy a new Edelbrock and put the old one away incase someone who buys the car from my wife wants that carb.
3. Spend the $ and get a replacement Holley. I'm trying to keep the $'s down a little because my toy is a boat. (Hole in the water you throw money into, which may be sold if I get into this car stuff!)
Our main purpose for the car is a daily "Look At Me" driver in the summer for the wife, a weekend cruising toy for the two of us. Having loads of power isn't the issue here, I'd rather have mileage.
Car will soon have a set of headers, new exhaust, Vert top, Frame stiffeners,etc.,etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you need to have the car pass a visual inspection? Is the engine stock, mild modified or wild? I live in PA and did not have to worry about visual inspection. I installed a 1850 Holley carb on my stock '84 engine. It is about 650 CFM and worked great with the stock engine. It was an easy bolt on. If you decide to get you carb rebuilt I can suggest a place http://avantiperformance.com/home.html

They have rebuilt carbs for me and will tailor the carb for your specific car. They are located near Philadelphia.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For a stock to slightly modified 302 a 600 CFM would be great. No more than a 650 CFM! If you look at the math and forget about worrying about bench racing, a 600 will be all you'll need. Bigger = slower and less responsive.

I've run Autolites, Holleys, Carters, Quadrajets, and Edlebrocks through the years. (Edelbrocks are essentially the same as a Carter but the jets/rods are differents sizes). They'll all run great if you know how to work on them.

For a newbie I'd suggest going with an Edlebrock 600 CFM. Easy to install, work on, and adjust. Very easy to tune with the rod/spring arrangement for the secondary circuit. No leaks, power valves, gaskets, or transfer tubes to screw with everytime you want to do a jet, power valve change.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Definitely save the original carb though. I'd go Edelbrock, they are good for cruisers. Holleys are good too, but the 4180 is an oddball smogger. I'd also recommend bending up a new hard line from the fuel pump to the new carb, so that you can save the original along line with the 4180. Afterall, how much does a Boss 302 carburator go for today?:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edlebrock 600 CFM it is then. I'll keep the orginal and rebuild it. Used to be able to do that?!
Next it'll be the exhaust! Got to get it thru inspection before cruising season!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.