Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 GT that makes a wining sound from the rear when I ease off the gas at 75mph & stops at 68-70. With the rear seats down its LOUD. I wonder if anyone has had this type of problem. I know this may be a little vague. I also noticed the rear axle/chunk is REAL HOT. Even after sitting for a couple hours its all I can do to hold it for more than 30 secs. Does this sound normal? The rear end also clunks sometimes when backing up/pulling forward, but I think that its the bushings. I plan to take it in to Ford but they tend to say everything is normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You could change the lube in the differential and strain what comes out, check it very closely for any particulate that may be suspended in the lube. Save it if you do find anything in there that would be considered more than normal wear such as anything other than a fine shaving or filing of almost a powder consistency. Take it to Ford if you do find such things in there and take the used lube with you so they can see what you found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bluestreak. The rear end on this is diferent from my toyo truck. I dont see an obvious drain or fill plug. Were would they be? Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I don't think there is a drain plug. I've never changed the differential lube on my 'Stangs, but if I remember what some other guys were saying, you have to remove the bolts from the diff cover on the bottom to get the old stuff out and there's a fill port near the top that's kinda hard to find. Might want to check a Haynes or Chilton's manual for more info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.