Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 98 GT and I am ready to do some modifications to it. I already have american thunder exhaust and a K&N air filter. I want to install an X-pipe and headers on my car. This is probably a dumb question, but I wanted
to know if installing long-tube headers would have any bad effects on my car if these were the only mods I did for awhile.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I believe theres a possibility you wont pass emissions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My first mods to my 97 GT 5spd was a set of BBK ceramic long tubes, BBK short x-pipe, & :worship Magnaflow Magnapacks exhaust. I had no side effects except for a very loud roar when I stepped on the gas. You will pick up a few ponys that will improve as you add more mods to your car.

97 GT 5spd
BBK ceramic long tubes,BBK short x-pipe, Magnaflow magnapacks exhaust, Tremec TKO tranny, Spec SFI billet aluminum flywheel, Ram powergrip clutch kit, Steeda ADJ.clutch cable-quadrant-firewall adj. kit, Pro 5.0 shifter, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, FRPP PI heads & cams, FRPP PI intake, Accufab 75mm throttlebody/plenum kit, Kenny Brown subframes, SHM strut tower brace, Speed Index CAI, SCT x-cal tuner, K&N 9" filter, MSD 8.5 super conductor wires, Bosch +2 plugs, FRPP 13" Cobra brake kit, FRPP 98 Cobra 17" wheels, BFG KDWS 255/45/17's

253 RWHP/ 296 RWTQ
[email protected] 1/8 mile before PI swap (no traction on worn street tires)

Coming soon 03 Cobra rims 17x9 front 17x10.5 rear w/ Nitto NT555 tires 255/40/17 front 275/40/17 rear

·
Banned
918 Posts
Personally I would do something about the poor exhaust flow with your stock cylinder heads first. As for headers, I would stay away from BBK unless you like to take one header off to change out the clutch. Hooker and Flowtech and kooks don't require that.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Long tubes on an NPI engine are pretty much a waste of money. You need to address the intake manifold and cams before stepping up to long tubes.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
Long tubes on an NPI engine are pretty much a waste of money. You need to address the intake manifold and cams before stepping up to long tubes.
-- Monkey Boy correct: NPI cars have really restrictive mid-pipes and have awful intake manifolds. Car needs H or X-pipe, PI intake, gears, PI or other cams before headers, PI heads good step after that. Headers worth doing (not shorties) IF heads come off - installing headers w/motor in car s**ks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
blackfang said:
Personally I would do something about the poor exhaust flow with your stock cylinder heads first. As for headers, I would stay away from BBK unless you like to take one header off to change out the clutch. Hooker and Flowtech and kooks don't require that.
I don't have this problem, but I am not running the crappy T-45 that these cars came with. I have a Tremec TKO which has a seperate bellhousing so no problem here. Also the BBK ceramic LT headers are about $200.00+ cheaper than the Hooker & Kooks ceramic or stainless headers. If I was building a race only Mustang the Kooks headers would have been bought instead of the BBK's. As for Junktech headers I would only put those on a dumptruck. They are not fit for a car as nice as a Mustang.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Yeah this happens with the T-45. The Junktechs are Hookers;) They are just a little bit thinner and made by Hooker. I know quite a few people who have no issues with these at all.

I paid in the range of high 400's for my BBK longtubes back in 2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.