Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new here and would like to draw on the vast knowledge of the forum. Here is my dillema, I have 700 dolalrs to spend on a new, or some new, upgrades for my 2004 V6 3.9L. I have a CAI on now and would like to know where i could spend the money so i get the most bang for the buck. I looked at gears and a T-Lok but i cant install that myself and would be too much to have it installed, another 500 bucks. I have looked at changing my exhaust setup to a true dual but i dont know if i should go catted or non catted o/r x, ive read all kinds of stuff about the o/r x making it sound tinney and since im still NA, losing low end torque. both the last things i want to do is lose torque and ricey. or any other suggestions would be helpful just remember a 700 cap on expenses is my limit the wife wont budge on that :so thx in advance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You might be able to do the gears and t-lok for about 700. Installation can be around 300 or so at some places. The best place is a performance shop that does it all the time. Or you can find a good exhaust shop, it will cost around 400 to do a custom dual flowmaster 40s setup. Underdrive pulleys help also, they cost around 250.00

I would say that the best acceleration gain would be from gears. The underdrive pulleys only free up about 10hp or so. Any gain in that range is pretty hard to feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would do the underdrive pullies but my alternator and batteries will need to be upgraded first. my audio pulls too much as it is right now and if i bass it alot then my battery doesnt charge the way it should. ive been stranded before so now i carry a jumper box in my trunk. I will be moving to colorado springs here pretty soon so maybe near the raceway in denver or somewhere in the springs i could get the gears done for cheap, not in santa fe, at least i havent found one that i trust yet, everyone here likes to rip you off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
would do the underdrive pullies but my alternator and batteries will need to be upgraded first. my audio pulls too much as it is right now and if i bass it alot then my battery doesnt charge the way it should. ive been stranded before so now i carry a jumper box in my trunk. I will be moving to colorado springs here pretty soon so maybe near the raceway in denver or somewhere in the springs i could get the gears done for cheap, not in santa fe, at least i havent found one that i trust yet, everyone here likes to rip you off.
Yea, I have had charging problems with my underdrive pulleys and have been stranded a few times, but most say they haven't. When I put a overdrive pulley on my alternator it helped out. My stock battery finally went bad so I got an optima battery the other day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone know about the diff between with cats or o/r x pipe i know with the o/r you have to get the mil eliminators but do you have to get an extension for the one with cats and is the sound ok i was looking at the stainless steel Pypes setup headerback exhaust and the one without cats is 400 bucks plus 85 for the mil eliminators and the one with cats is 500, i could definately install it myself which would save some money and if i go the exhaust route then i am going to get a short throw shifter from steeda too. the problem is am i really going to lose that much low end torque with no cats o/r setup or should i just order the one with cats because i dont plan on getting induction anytime in the future. too expensive and soldier pay isnt that much. any insight would be helpfull

·
Registered
582 Posts
does anyone know about the diff between with cats or o/r x pipe i know with the o/r you have to get the mil eliminators but do you have to get an extension for the one with cats and is the sound ok i was looking at the stainless steel Pypes setup headerback exhaust and the one without cats is 400 bucks plus 85 for the mil eliminators and the one with cats is 500, i could definately install it myself which would save some money and if i go the exhaust route then i am going to get a short throw shifter from steeda too. the problem is am i really going to lose that much low end torque with no cats o/r setup or should i just order the one with cats because i dont plan on getting induction anytime in the future. too expensive and soldier pay isnt that much. any insight would be helpfull
Yea you will lose some torque if you don't have cats. The six needs a little backpressure. Unless you have some major engine mods, it is better to have the cats. Is there any good exhaust shops out there? It is usually cheaper to get everything done at a shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill have to check on that. Im stationed in korea right now so i cant just go down to the local shops and check on prices. ill try to call the regular muffler places like mineke and see how much they can do it for. but i think i have decided on definately an exhaust with cats just have to find someone that will do what i need done without spending my whole wad. we will see how it goes though ill post back after i have found someone, thanks for the help on deciding and the info

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Remember if your moving to a state or county in the state that does state smog testing you will need cats.

I say look around at the v6 threads there's tons of info in there!!!!
And your question has came up a million times a week so you'll get tons of good stuff in there.!!!

Welcome to the site!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.