Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351w that I just finshed up recently for my fox and am having some smoking issues. I just had it at the dyno getting tuned and the only time you could see any smoke (which was very faint at that) was when the engine was getting up around 6200-6500 rpm. When I drive it on the street if I get on it I leave a big cloud of white smoke behind. The engine feels like it runs fine (good power and did about 7 runs on the dyno ) just smokes if you lay into it. It has kieth black hypereutectic pistons so I went off there guide calculator for gapping the rings. I did the top ring at .030 because thats what it said to use if you were going to boost it. I dont have boost on it now but plan on it so thats why I gapped them that way. Is that why it smokes? If so is it doing anydamage to the walls not running boost for the rings and when I do boost it will that clear up the smoke and make the rings seal better due to everything getting hotter and expanding?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what the exact wall finish is. I just know that it was a fresh machine job from a reputable professional machine shop here local. The rings are engine pro rings, I believe they are the premium ductile series (ductile iron, plasma moly top ring). the engine is :stock lower end and .040 over, afr 185's, tfs stage 2 cam, msd dizzy, blast coil, 6al, walbro 255, 30lb injectors, 76mm maf, 75mm tb, 9:1 compression. Did 360hp and 390 ft lbs

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well smoking alittle on a fresh rebuild isnt un common everythimg needs time to seat and get broken in. Give it some time unless its really bad.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts