Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally, Hell yeah! let's hope they Fix the problem ASAP before I find my dream Camaro :)

FORD your going down down DOWN ! lol

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
I will be very interested in seeing how this goes down. Hopefully I'll b picking up my '12 in a week or two, so I've certainly been following the tranny saga for some time and I have my own personal thoughts on the issue. Hopefully the guys with problems will get some satisfaction out of this---I wish those folks the best of luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm curious to what will happen. Just recently it has become harder to shift into 2nd. Now it grinds and when I pull down it clicks like it went in but then I pull again and it goes in farther. A real pain trying to handle all of this while driving.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This news needs to be spread to all of the other Mustang forums on the net so that everyone that is having a problem gets it registered with the NHTSA .
Strength in numbers .

·
Registered
635 Posts
User comments at the end of the Yahoo article are interesting to say the least. :gringreen

FYI, for those hoping for quick resolution, this is written at the bottom of the Detroit News article concerning the investigation:

"NHTSA generally investigates for up to a year before deciding whether to upgrade an investigation into an engineering analysis. In many cases, an investigation ends before then — when either an automaker voluntarily recalls vehicles or the government ends the probe for lack of evidence.
Ford said it was aware of the investigation. "We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter," spokesman Wes Sherwood said."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110807...ting-new-Ford-Mustang--VW-Jetta#ixzz1UOdVzsyv

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
User comments at the end of the Yahoo article are interesting to say the least. :gringreen

FYI, for those hoping for quick resolution, this is written at the bottom of the Detroit News article concerning the investigation:

"NHTSA generally investigates for up to a year before deciding whether to upgrade an investigation into an engineering analysis. In many cases, an investigation ends before then — when either an automaker voluntarily recalls vehicles or the government ends the probe for lack of evidence.
Ford said it was aware of the investigation. "We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter," spokesman Wes Sherwood said."

From The Detroit News: Autos Insider | Feds investigating new Ford Mustang, VW Jetta | The Detroit News
None of us could care less about those user comments. We're elated that the government is shining a spotlight on this mess. The more pressure there is on Ford, the better.

We've been waiting a year and a half for Ford to act. Between the pressure from the Feds and the ABC story in the works, they won't be able to ignore this and hope it just "goes away"

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
Just showed up on Jalopnik:

Feds launch Mustang transmission probe after Jalopnik, forum stories

While a NHTSA preliminary investigation won't automatically lead to a recall, it will force Ford to tell NHTSA how widespread the problem is, and what steps if any Ford may have taken to tackle it. One insider gave us a possible explanation blaming Ford's efforts to save money by using an older design of Getrag transmission. That design had a drawback - a gear rattle, which Ford engineers quieted by requiring a thicker transmission fluid.

Except the thicker fluid causes some of the gears to slip, creating extra wear and missed or notchy shifting. On top of those problems, some of the bolts holding the clutch can loosen because Ford didn't specify bolt thread locker. Ford has switched back to a different transmission fluid, but that makes the rattle come back.

While Ford has said it was working with customers, some Mustang owners have been told by Ford that noisy or notchy shifting is just how the transmissions are supposed to work. That's one way to fix the problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Since Ford refuses to act on their own to acknowledge, much less FIX a well documented problem, perhaps some "persuasion" is in order...

If they were smart, they'd get ahead of this before someone gets T-Boned or rear ended 'cuz their "Forrest Gump" tranny wouldn't go into gear... They should have learned a lesson with the Pinto exploding gas tank fiasco.

·
Registered
635 Posts
None of us could care less about those user comments. We're elated that the government is shining a spotlight on this mess. The more pressure there is on Ford, the better.

We've been waiting a year and a half for Ford to act. Between the pressure from the Feds and the ABC story in the works, they won't be able to ignore this and hope it just "goes away"
Yeah, I'm also happy for everyone...the NHTSA will finally put this to bed once and for all, although it may take up to a year. If there is an issue, then something will get done. If there is no issue then that will also blatantly be obvious once the factual investigation is completed by investigating officials. I say a win-win for all. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
Hopefully all of us will stop being told THIS by Ford

:nono:

It should be noted they are investigating 2011 AND 2012 models

NHTSA Action Number : PE11024 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
FORD / MUSTANG 2011-2012
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Component(s) :
POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Date Investigation Opened : August 3, 2011
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI has received 32 complaints alleging an unexpected inability to shift into gear on model year (MY)2011-2012 Ford Mustangs equipped with manual transmissions. Some reports allege incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic and others allege that incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic. Some complainants allege that the erratic shifting behavior almost caused a collision with adjacent vehicles. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to assess the scope, frequency and potential safety consequences associated with the alleged defect.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ford may not be officially doing anything about the transmission issues
I find it very sad that these issues have tarnished the reputation, of my 2011 GT, even though as yet, I have none of the issues people are complaining about.

Dont get me wrong, I totally sympathize with those that do, but I feel bad that I can no longer be as proud of my car/Ford as I once was.

I truly love this car, and I want to be proud of it, but it's like Ford is suicidal or something .. come on Ford, you had a good thing going there for a while. Why blow it now?

I am also seriously concerned about the resale value of my car. Are there soon going to be floods of unwanted 2011/12 GTs around that arent worth anything because people will be afraid to go near them?

THe whole thing sucks... I really really hope you folks having problems get them fixed, and I hope at the end of all this, our cars are still worth something and have some kind of reputation left.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I find it very sad that these issues have tarnished the reputation, of my 2011 GT, even though as yet, I have none of the issues people are complaining about.

Dont get me wrong, I totally sympathize with those that do, but I feel bad that I can no longer be as proud of my car/Ford as I once was.

I truly love this car, and I want to be proud of it, but it's like Ford is suicidal or something .. come on Ford, you had a good thing going there for a while. Why blow it now?

I am also seriously concerned about the resale value of my car. Are there soon going to be floods of unwanted 2011/12 GTs around that arent worth anything because people will be afraid to go near them?

THe whole thing sucks... I really really hope you folks having problems get them fixed, and I hope at the end of all this, our cars are still worth something and have some kind of reputation left.
Not really a big deal, BMW 335i's realized zero depreciation due to both an NHTSA investigation/recall and a TV show. If there is a problem, then it will get fixed, if not then Ford will be exonerated. I don't think 335i drivers are ashamed of their cars and you shouldn't worry about yours.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

I hope you have contacted Ford to express your displeasure.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I wouldn't take it that hard. Ford isn't the first company to have issues like this and won't be the last. I'm disappointed that they haven't bothered to fix the issue and have left some owners in the cold but I still love my car despite the fact that it has a transmission allergic to cold weather.

I recently filled out my J.D. Power survey for my 2012 and went over the transmission issues in detail as well as how Ford was handling it. It doesn't put Ford in a rosy light but you reap what you sow. I did rate the car stellar in the other areas so it's probably going to balance out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be following this closely and will be interested in knowing how things progress on a semi-regular basis. I'd like to not have to wait 6-12 months until either Ford decides to recall the cars or until the NHTSA closes the case. Anyone know if the NHTSA provides updates throughout the course of their investigations?

·
Registered
417 Posts

Going to be? Check Auto Trader dot com.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts