Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nissan is NOT turbo and I run a low 14 at the track but we are not going to race at the track he wants to run me on the street (safe spot trust me) It is a little more that 1/3 mile. I think I have the advantage because of my 4.10 gears and micky thompson tires. Does anybody know what a stock 350Z runs in the 1/4 ???

G

·
I'm really not sure what Z's run but with 4.10 gears and running a little over 1/3 of a mile I'd be worried about my top end. You're biggest advantage is torque and good gearing, so don't run so long that he has a chance to catch up.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Yeah, no doubt. I beat one up an on ramp after making a side by side left turn. We started from probably 5 or 10 mph and I stayed ahead through second gear (he balked his 1-2 to add to my advantage). We had to lift, and merge into highway traffic, by the top of second gear. So, I killed one. But, I think those things shine at higher speeds. It all depends on the circumstances. You may be able to fend him off, though. I'd like to see the showdown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know...... I heard those things are scary fast. Don't race myself...just enjoy the 5.0 power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i dunno, its going to be close...

2003 Nissan 350z 5.4 14.1
2004 Nissan 350z Roadster 5.7 14.3
2004 Nissan 350Z 5.3 13.77 (M.T. Mar '04)
2005 Nissan 350Z 35th Anniversary Edition 6 Speed 5.8 14.3 (C&D Apr '05)

first number is 0-60 times, second is 1/4 mile times....

·
Registered
41 Posts
New guy here but i think I can offer some advise.

I raced my buddy a few months ago he has an 98 GT manual with a few mods. We both left work around 2am and were the only cars on the road. I have a 04 Acura TL automatic. We took of from the stop light and he was pulling away slowly till about 3 car lengths around 80mph. Then I started sucking him up like he was standing still. By the next light I had 4 cars on him and he was dropping fast. When I braked for the light I was at 137mph with about 750rpm till I hit my red line. I would estimate the distance to be close to a half mile or a little more.

I would race the guy but for a shorter distance. Go out to that spot and walk off 1/4 mile and stake it. The guy with the Z probably thinks he can’t be beat and will race you anyway.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Does your car run good? I mean, have you beat other fast cars? 1/3 mile is pretty far, With your mods I don't see you going much faster than 125. Mostly stock 5.0s fall off over 5k. Bump your timing up and run some 93 octane and take out all the extra stuff like spare tire, jack, subs? Are you really gonna do this or not? Most people on here that ask never end up doing it, me included (00 f-150).

·
Registered
918 Posts
If he won't race you at the track, then I say don't race him. Yeah I did my share of street racing years ago, when I was young and thought I knew it all, but that doesn't make it right.

There is no such thing as a safe street race. That's like saying it's ok to drive if you're just a little drunk. Last year two guys were street racing on a four lane road here and one of them couldn't stop in time, ran into the back of a car, and killed a nine year old girl that was in the back seat. He has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Anybody who thinks it's acceptable to drive at 137mph on any public road needs to be locked up for the safety of the general motoring public.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I went 155 in my vert a long time ago and I swear I'll never do that again. Luckily it was a 4 lane road that had no entrances for a long way (1 mile atleast) and I was racing an audi tt quatro. I swear I thought my convertible top was going to rip off!

I was 16 at the time (now 22) and I dont go over 80 now normally. There is an occasional run to 100 and quickly braking after that , but I would take it to the track or forget it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Fool, when yn you race him. let me know.. because some 350z wants to race me.. i can take and auto .. but sticks i dont know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
WOW, y are u guys so affraid d of racing

·
Registered
273 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
WOW, y are u guys so affraid d of racing

What i ment to say is that the 350z arent that fast dude wit the 4.10's u will rape him off the line. Thats if u know how to drive the car. I Spanked a 350z with intake exhaust and chip an all i had was .373s heads h-pipe headers. And i took him by a good amount of cars so dont b afraid to race him!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
street race

I would take him to the strip and race him. because I had a friend that had a SVT Cobra 2001 and he was racing a 350 Z and a Evo he was in the lead and all the sudden a car pulled in front of him. So he swerved and did a 180 degree turn and hit a tree sideways at 134 it killed him insantly. it riped the car in two that is why I dont street race He was 17years old and in a second he was smered all over the raod (RIP John)

·
Banned
56 Posts
its not that we are afraid of racing yea do that stuff on a track never know what can happen on the road, things on the road etc. would really suck to have a tire blow at 120, i had one blow the sidewall and i was doing 60mph and not racing really sucked. So if your gonna do it on the road better be like 330 4am in the morning on a road where no one is, go do it then. wear a helmet just incase something goes wrong and you eat some trees. Use your head cause if you hit my kid and killed them id make sure the move saw looked like something a elementary person created it compared what i would do to you for doing something stupid like drag racing on the street and killing my kid. If your gona do it do i where no one is around like you said. And im sure he will get you on top end with the 350z so go spend $500 or so get the zex system hide it good so he dont see it and spray that $hit in 3rd gear when he thinks hes getting you pulling away at top end, race him for $500 so you get your money back. then you shoulnt have a problem beating him. You could install one of those zex kits in a days time. Good luck on your drag racing dont get caught and dont kill no one.

·
Banned
56 Posts
yea exactly what beast said that $hit aint cool if your dead take it to the track to do it right at least you'll eat the jersey wall if anything goes wrong and they have medical people there on the scene. unlike if your on some dark road in the middle of no where and something happens like beast said and you both wreck it could take hours for someone to come along and find you and if your down in the trees somewhere they might never see u. Use your head dude street racing aint cool if your dead. Sorry to hear about your friend (the beast) that sucks man.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea i agree on u guys 100%. When i said "why are u scared of racing" i ment you are u guys scared of a 350z. A couple a years ago when i was 16 i was racing this ls1 on the street and we hit 130 and a car pulled in my lane and i jammed on the brakes and went sideways but i didnt go off the road. Some how i controlled the car. Idk how but i if i crashed i would have been dead. So after thast race i learned my lesson. I Still do some street racing but its when NO ONE is on the road and its a straight away. And i always race with no PASSENGERS. I know my friend that was street racing in a honda with a car full a girls and he thought we was big shot goin fast and goin around cars and lost control at 90 and they all had broke bones but their luckey nobody died. So i understand wut u guys are saying and i agree 100%

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.