Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

my wife works at a toyota dealership and wants me to get my tires filled with Nitrogin........anyone else do this? what are the benifits?? washed and waxed my stang today ..........wouln't you know its pouring out side . gotta love this south florida weather.
any input welcome.

72fins

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Well, military aircraft use nitrogen in most tires. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air and escape less rapidly and it is also less susceptible to expansion and contraction. Nitrogen is also lighter than air and people have reported better gas mileage. It isn't cheap. Can cost a few dollars per tire to fill.

N

·
0 Posts
but what if i hit a bump? will the car start to float away? is this like flubber?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
but what if i hit a bump? will the car start to float away? is this like flubber?
Yeah, gotta watch those speed bumps! :D Tell you what, if it got me an extra 2 mpg, I'd spend the $5 or so a tire. If not, I'm sticking to good old air.

·
Registered
342 Posts
stlwagon said:
Well, military aircraft use nitrogen in most tires. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air and escape less rapidly and it is also less susceptible to expansion and contraction. Nitrogen is also lighter than air and people have reported better gas mileage. It isn't cheap. Can cost a few dollars per tire to fill.
Actually, Nitrogen isn't any less susceptable to expansion and contraction than any other pure gas. Pv=nRT for all pure gasses.

The benefit (aside from the already mentioned lack of seepage due to a larger molecular size) is that Nitrogen, unlike air, does not have any water vapor in it. It is the water vapor in regular air that is chiefly responsible for the increases/decreases in pressure caused by varying temperatures. Even the tiny bit of water vapor in normal air has a huge impact on pressures as temperature varies. If you were able to fill a tire with normal air at 0% humidity, it would respond to pressure in the same way the pure Nitrogen does. However, air, even at 0% humidity, would still leak out more easily.

Personally, it's cheaper for me to just use my compressor and keep an eye on my pressures. On the other hand, I can easily see it being worth the money to someone who doesn't want to adjust their tire pressure every week.

Claims of increased mileage are faulty, and are either the result of new tires (most people switch over when new tires are fitted) or of having had the tires under-inflated before switcing to Nitrogen. Claims of a smoother ride likewise baffle me since X PSI is X PSI regardless of the particular gas creating the pressure and Nitrogen at 32 PSI will cause the tire to behave exactly the same as if it were inflated with air at 32 PSI.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive used 78% Nitrogen 21% oxygen and 1%other for years, its called air.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only reason we used nitrogen in tires when I was in the Air Force was for heat disapation, Believe me, your stangs' tires will never build up the heat that a fully loaded F15 or a C130's tires builds up on take off and landing. You will just be wasting your money.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I am not sure it is a waste...I have nitrogen in my 20" tires, and I have never have to check the tire pressure. I personally recommend it. IMHO, it is a good idea.

·
Registered
342 Posts
mrvandermey said:
I am not sure it is a waste...I have nitrogen in my 20" tires, and I have never have to check the tire pressure. I personally recommend it. IMHO, it is a good idea.
Yup, if you don't have your own compressor, it can be a worthwhile move. Though I'd still want to check pressures once a month because I'm paranoid about that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
stlwagon said:
Nitrogen is not lighter than 'air' and the molecules are not larger....check your periodic charts. The only benefit of using Nitrogen is that it doesn't absorb water and therefor will have a more predictable increase in tire pressure as it heats up. Possibly there could be slightly less oxidation on the inside of the tire but since the atmosphere already is ~78% Nitrogen, I really doubt that would show any benefit.

-Chip in SC

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
stlwagon said:
Nitrogen isn't that much lighter that it's going to lighten the car and make it get better gas mileage. The savings is most likely due to the fact that the tires are properly inflated for a longer time. That will do more for mileage in any car. Another benefit is Nitrogen is supposed to reduce moisture on the inside of the tire, inhibiting corrosion. Many steel wheels failed due to rusting from the inside out. Air, under compression, will actually pool moisture. That's why you have to drain your air compressor every time you use it. The benifits, if any, seem to be negligible so I wouldn't bother myself.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
ipchay61 said:
Nitrogen is not lighter than 'air' and the molecules are not larger....check your periodic charts. The only benefit of using Nitrogen is that it doesn't absorb water and therefor will have a more predictable increase in tire pressure as it heats up. Possibly there could be slightly less oxidation on the inside of the tire but since the atmosphere already is ~78% Nitrogen, I really doubt that would show any benefit.

-Chip in SC
N2 and O2 molecules are actually almost the same size and N2 is lighter than O2 (28 g/mol vs 32 g/mol). And if you go strictly by atomic weight, pure nitrogen is considerably lighter than dry air (78.1% Nitrogen, 20.9% Oxygen, 0.93 % Argon & trace (<.1%) amounts of other noble gases, carbon dioxide and air pollutants). Have to go now... Late for 3rd period science class :shigrin

·
Registered
304 Posts
guys guys guys, i go to college too u know, i respect your up-to-date info, but you're acting as if you will keep your car for centuries, we all love our cars, but don't be soooo picky about what kinda air u wanna put, if u wanna preserve anything, it should be ur engine, use MobileOne oil and high quality gas that's all, GOD.

·
Registered
168 Posts
MRVADERMEY wrote,"I am not sure it is a waste...I have nitrogen in my 20" tires, and I have never have to check the tire pressure. I personally recommend it. IMHO, it is a good idea."
Are you nuts? you still have to check the pressure and yes Nitrogen will eventualy leak from a tire just like air. We had to check tire pressure everday on Aircraft and yes their tires go low too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We use nitrogen in the circle track stock car. Using it on a car that sees open track use may make sense, but there is no need for it on the street. Air VS Nitrogen, both hold air for a long time. Nitrogen does not expand, causing the tire to grow in diameter when it gets HOT. Street use does not heat the tires that much. Circle track tires can see over 250 degrees, and street tires aren't likely to exceed 180 degrees, plus a street tire is thick and less likely to "Grow" than a racing slick.

As such Nitrogen won't hurt, but won't much much of a difference either. If they don't air them up (Using Nitrogen) with a line that has a dryer, then deflate them again to flush out the air and moisture, it will have even less of the slight effect.

Not worth it for street use to me, but to each his own, do what makes you comfortable!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I remember a tire shop trying to sell this service to me and what they stated was that air which obviosly contains h2o eats away at the rubber on the inside of the tire over time. Who I'm not sure if it's true; and I passed on the offer.

Does anyone know what gas/air. etc the tires are filled with from the factory?
My guess is regular old fashioned air.

N

·
0 Posts
this is sort of a silly debate...of all the mods you can possibly consider spending money on...nitrogen in tires...lol...air gentlemen air...lets just put air in our tires...the bugatti vehron has air in its tires

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
I remember a tire shop trying to sell this service to me and what they stated was that air which obviosly contains h2o eats away at the rubber on the inside of the tire over time. Who I'm not sure if it's true; and I passed on the offer.

Does anyone know what gas/air. etc the tires are filled with from the factory?
My guess is regular old fashioned air.
I think you are talking about Belle Tire, I saw them advertising it on TV. As far as prices on their tires, they don't compare to discount tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts