Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is currently in the shop getting an x-charger xtreme put on and a few other mods. I was wondering if it would hurt it to add some nitrous? I'm not going to be heavy racing it or anything(the most ill boost with the nitrous is 10hp-20hp), I want it mostly for the added thrill. But even with that small boost would it damage my engine?

·
Registered
85 Posts
most likely you will need to work on heads cams (possibly pistons) before you want to run nitrous with your x charger

even at 50 shot you will push a lot..but again it also depends on how hard you've pushed ur car and what state the engine is in..

i'm pushing 12lbs boost through a stock engine and a lot of people consider that great stress but it works just fine

so at the end of the day you might not have a problem but its a risk (its your call if you want to go with it)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I've put some thought into getting some stuff to "beef up" the engine, and I'm sure I will once the mods I've bought are paid off. Lol now I'm worried, will the x-charger xtreme be to much stress on the stock engine?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Of course the safe route would be to go and beef up the shortblock and heads to handle the extra HP. Don't forget, you will be adding 100+ with the X-Charger and some additional with the nitrous. Personally, I think your being greedy in wanting the extra HP so badly. In the long run I bet it will cost you, especially if you just add in on with no extra work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry, I think your right. Personally, I think it would be fun to beef up the engine, even if I can't do it myself, the shops I live around will let me watch and learn. My problem right now is the shortage of cash left over and I will need my car for school(I'm not sure how long changing heads and cams take or how much it costs). But to be sure, my car will be able to handle the x-charger extreme right? I also but in a T-Lok and new gears. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Your car will be fine w the xcharger, the stock block is supposed to be handle up to 350hp and good move w the 8.8 for support, the x with gears will make your six beat an eight no prob(a stock 8 thag is maybe w a few mods)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your car will be fine w the xcharger, the stock block is supposed to be handle up to 350hp and good move w the 8.8 for support, the x with gears will make your six beat an eight no prob(a stock 8 thag is maybe w a few mods)

stock block can take a lot more then 350..or atleast i've seen so far...there are guys with stock blocks pushing close to 390 on daily drivers...mine is doing 360
now if you are daily driving that car...dont nitrous it...the X will put u in considerable range..u will be able to take on camaro sixers and midly modded gts easily...X wont put that much load on your block

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, well what are some mods I can add that will take full advantage of the supercharger? I have gears, T-Lok and dual exhaust with an x pipe. I've decided nitrous is not good lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
slap a 70mm throttle body in there (yes i know i opened a S*%& can by saying that) zabtech or bbk..it gives you gain in hp..it did for me so i refer it to everyone..

secondly..long tube headers..pacesetters..mac or any other that you can find..

third 3.73 gears...if you are going to be using it as daily runner..u can go to 4.10 if you want...i have 3.73s

your fuel injectors and spark plugs should be updated with the X...thats just basic principle..

with all that and a proper tune you should land at a solid 350...maybe more...tires is a preference and oh one last thing..brembo brakes....before u learn the hard way..upgrade your brakes

all of the mods i've mentioned are on my car and i know someone here will say that TBs are not worth it but i've seen gain whatever im recommending, i've used it on my car too

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, (I'm making a list lol), what should I upgrade my fuel injectors to, and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
361 Posts
That was a pretty broad statement about that 6 taking on the V-8's! :nono:

I know quite a few it wouldn't want to fool with, and after the 4th of Aug. you can add mine to the list. I will be putting around 525RWH, maybe just a shade more. :D

But you can still have fun :laughlitt Drive Safe Drive Smooth! :wavey

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well he did say stock or mildly modded...I don't think forced induction counts as a mild mod(or nitrous). Not trying to be rude or anything, I just think you might have misunderstood his post. In any case, that is going to be one fun ride you got :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
i was talking about stock or mildly modded...for suped up v8 mustangs and camaros i have a 05 mustang gt which is getting fitted with a garrett twin turbo with an estimated 600 hp..thats an ongoing project..as soon as the military stop being a little B*$#& and gives me my backpay

as far as fuel injectors with the X go..u should have atleast 39lbs...42 will do better but the gain is mild..injectors will run you around 300 dollars...i thought xcharger came with an injector upgrade because at stock 19lbs on a v6 that thing would choke..

p.s i've raced quite a few v6s and v8s with my sixer and yes i've been able to beat them by the skin of my teeth..its not like v8s are god..the F/I does help..i've also lost to a few as well..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, well I'm not very mechanically inclined, but if I already have pypes true dual gt takeoff mufflers, what's the best headers with that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you want to spend the extra money go for macs...there arent a lot of manufacturers making lths for v6s

i went with pacesetter...they have mixed reviews but so far i have no issues with them...pacesetters are available at summit racing..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, ill look into the macs first, how much do people usually charge to install new headers?

·
Registered
85 Posts
well normally when you change your exhaust, most mechanics will tell you to upgrade the headers at the same time since its redundant to get either one done first and then the rest afterwards

but you've already gotten your exhaust done so i assume it shouldnt be more then a 100 dollars...150 at the most to install the headers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, ill check on the headers and some of the other stuff, once again, thanks for being so helpful!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts