Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that most states prohibit nitrous systems on the street. I was wondering how many people actually run a nitrous on the street? My real question is how would they know if the don't look for it. And would the average LE know what he is looking at?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
it is illegal here also,but alot of people run it.we hide the bottle and switches,put black plastic loom over all underhood lines.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
You can make nitrous systems legal on the street by having a WOT switch. If it's just a toggle switch that's used, then it's not legal. If you're thinking about getting a kit, you can get some that are legal out of the box. If you already have one, you can get a WOT kit to make it legal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the only time they would look for it is if you got busted at the street races!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dont know if any mods are actually legal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
here in jersey.. i asked a state trooper... he said as long as the bottle is disconnected from the main line... its fine... but he also said it depends on the officer thats busting your balls ... some dont care others will ticket the **** out of you!...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
others will ticket the **** out of you!...
I suspect this is the most accurate answer.

I think I'll go for it. It won't be the first time I've done something that is less then legal. The kit I'm looking at feeds into behind the throttle body. I can hide those lines fairly easily. I can hide the bottle behind "Speaker Boxes." Should work if they aren't to nosy.

I don't race I just pass quickly.

TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bottom line is that if the popo wants to bust your balls he will. Back in the day I got a ticket for having nitrous in my mustang, but beat the ticket. DOT in NY states that you can have 440 lbs of MOT (materials of trade). As long as your not cought street racing with it your fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
haha pizzas... i wanna be there the day you have to tell your boss that you couldnt deliver a pizza because you had to catch the rear end on a curve and the pizza smashed on the back window...

I have a buddy who used to own a 80' something turbo supra with a 75hp shot; bottle uncovered in the hatch and he got busted street racing. He got pulled over and when the cop came back with the ticket he wrote him up for wreckless driving and laying drag and then told my friend that he would have gotten him for the bottle but it obviously wasnt hooked up since he(the cop) caught him so quickly...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess that gives a whole new meaning to 30 mins or less...:)
you better believe!, and actually i get paid good too, all i do is drive my car and i make an easy 10-16$ an hour and its under the table so , i get paid that day, sometimes ill take home 120$ a day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
haha pizzas... i wanna be there the day you have to tell your boss that you couldnt deliver a pizza because you had to catch the rear end on a curve and the pizza smashed on the back window...

I have a buddy who used to own a 80' something turbo supra with a 75hp shot; bottle uncovered in the hatch and he got busted street racing. He got pulled over and when the cop came back with the ticket he wrote him up for wreckless driving and laying drag and then told my friend that he would have gotten him for the bottle but it obviously wasnt hooked up since he(the cop) caught him so quickly...

my bottle is uncovered in the hatch, and cops never seem to notice it there i guess. it looks all legit too it bolted the bottle brackets to the piece of like half cardboard half wood thing that covers the spare tire. then cut the carpet a little so that i could pull it over the brakets. it looks trick.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can make nitrous systems legal on the street by having a WOT switch. If it's just a toggle switch that's used, then it's not legal. If you're thinking about getting a kit, you can get some that are legal out of the box. If you already have one, you can get a WOT kit to make it legal.

my friend had that wot switch, and it got cought on the throttle itself and his gas pedal was stuck to the floor! on the highway! he threw it in nuteral and had to pull over and fix it. so i dont use one, i got a toggle switch and purge switch and a button to spray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im going into the michigan state police program and i know a few that have some spray on thier rides. one time i got pulled over and the first thing i told him was that i am a criminal justice student and he told me "dont care about that crap what do ya have under the hood." i was almost an hour late to class becuase we where b.s.ing about stangs and cobras. i love the p.d. around me! some have faster cars than me...:headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
5 Posts
i've had nitrous for a year or so now and i live in southern cali where the cops suck i've been pulled over and searched an ungodly amount of times cause of noise complaints they searched my car saw the bottle and only wrote me up for a catless xpipe. none of the cops here care that much about the bottle i guess and i have the full setup with the remote bottle opener and all

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not too sure about the legailty of it, but if something were to ever happen (accident), the insurance company will not have to pay up if they find out abot the nos.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not too sure about the legailty of it, but if something were to ever happen (accident), the insurance company will not have to pay up if they find out abot the nos.

I really doubt that they can deny a claim becuase you have Nitrous on the car. It would be impossible for them to prove that you were running the NOS during the accident.
Besides where does it say that if you break the law that insurance does not have to pay. Remember most all accidents are caused by someone breaking the law, (speeding, illegal turn, DUI, etc.) Insurance doesnt get to not pay becuase of these.
I could be wrong but I really doubt that they could deny a claim.
Thats why insurance exists, Becuase someone screwed up and had an "accident"

·
Registered
941 Posts
so i have been thinking about adding some juice to my ride he he i was wondering what amount is safe to use on stock block with gt-40 heads and e303 cam? and what all extra is needed?

oh and about the gas sticking open i would put a toggle switch in front of the wot switch encase of that so you can still kill it

·
Registered
236 Posts
here in Va you can have NOS as long as the feed line is not hooked up to the motor. it can be unhooked at the bottle or the selonoid. but it has to be unhooked. mine is unhooked when im having a bottle filled then the line goes right back on. never know when you might need it. that is why i have two bottles mounted in the hatch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.