Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys help me make a decision. I'm thinking about putting nitrous on my stang. I really like the ZEX kit that was used in the April '08 issue of MM&FF "wednesday night hitter". I would get all of the safety devices, WOT switch, rpm window switch, bottle heater, etc etc. All in all would be about 1000 bucks. Not too bad for 100 hp. Or... I already have a set of factory ford 3.73 gears and install kit, just don't have them in yet, I'm a mechanic by the way so install would and can be done by me. At the same time I would install a rear end cover/girdle, aluminum driveshaft, and driveshaft loop. This would cost me about 500 bucks (not counting the gears that were already paid for). So would the gears and driveshaft make a good difference for 500 bucks, or would I be better off spending the grand on nitrous. I just have other things that the extra 500 bucks could go towards but can spend it if it's really worth it. Thanks guys!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think the gears would compliment the nitrous very well. I would not bother with the aluminum drive shaft if money is an issue. its not going to make or break you. I ran low to mid 12's all day on a 100 shot. check the nitrous express plate system out its a sweet setup I loved it.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Either way you are making an improvement. I kind of like the nitrous idea. Do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

·
Banned
652 Posts
id get gears, you can use those everytime you get in the car

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Depends on what else you use the car for. If it's strictly a saturday night special, drag strip car, then I'd go with the gears. No maintenance, no recurrent expense, nothing to go wrong, more consistant time slips.

But if it's also your highway cruiser and daily commuter, I'd go with the nitrous. The stock gears will give you better mileage and quieter cruising.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daily driving is definitly a no no with this car. I average 3000 miles a year, I just turned 11000 miles before I put it away last fall. I don't care about MPG's, I just want a good jump in performance. I like the gears more because I won't have to drill any holes in the body like with the Nitrous. I'm trying to keep this car as close to factory as I can, meaning, I keep everything I take off so I could at anytime turn it completely back to stock so I'll get 1,000,000 dollars for it 30 years from now. LOL but I don't really want to cut, or drill the body at all. So that is weighing in on the Nitrous vs Gears. Thanks guys!:bigthumbsup

D

·
0 Posts
Daily driving is definitly a no no with this car. I average 3000 miles a year, I just turned 11000 miles before I put it away last fall. I don't care about MPG's, I just want a good jump in performance. I like the gears more because I won't have to drill any holes in the body like with the Nitrous. I'm trying to keep this car as close to factory as I can, meaning, I keep everything I take off so I could at anytime turn it completely back to stock so I'll get 1,000,000 dollars for it 30 years from now. LOL but I don't really want to cut, or drill the body at all. So that is weighing in on the Nitrous vs Gears. Thanks guys!:bigthumbsup

I think you will like having the nos more. 373 is a good all around gear and if you g oto 4 10s or higher you arent really going to gain all that much in performance.. Nos on the other hand is a mod thats going to suck you back into the seat... drag racing wise the gears may get you 2 tenths faster and the nos will pick you up a full second or more!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
get both. you already have the gears and will be installing them yourself. i'm not sure if it's the same one, but i have a zex wet kit(part# 82023) i'm looking to get rid of. it might be different though, cuz mine doesn't require any obtrusive drilling anywhere. pm me if you're interested.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get both. you already have the gears and will be installing them yourself. i'm not sure if it's the same one, but i have a zex wet kit(part# 82023) i'm looking to get rid of. it might be different though, cuz mine doesn't require any obtrusive drilling anywhere. pm me if you're interested.
The kit I'm looking at is #82217 specifically made for the 99-04 GT's. Looks basically the same as 82023 except for the fuel rail addapter. How does your kit tie into the fuel system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.