Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is specific to the S197. I was looking for ideas on where to mount the switches for my Zex nitrous system. I know they have a power plug adapter for the activation switch that goes in the center console. I wanted to be a little more creative. I do NOT want to be stealth....but visible and something that looks good.
I have a few of these toggles (gloss black cover..not red) that will replace the plain jane looking switches that come with it.
I was thinking of just to the right of the cup holders??

Anyone out there with pics on how you did it?
Anyone switch out the Zex purge button for a toggle switch. Thanks for the help...I would love to see pics on any of the systems out there.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I put mine next to the parking brake lever. They are safe from any passengers that might pull the "what does this button do - as they push the button" stunt or any other accidental usage. In the picture from left to right you will see my purge button, bottle heater switch and bottle opener switch.

I would not want to use a toggle for the purge. I would only use a momentary switch like the one that comes with the purge kit. If you leave it stuck on for even a second you've just lost a lot of $$$ worth of nitrous. And you'll soon find out it goes fast enough through the cylinders let alone blowing it into the wind. After you fill the bottle about 6 or 7 times you'll realize how precious your nitrous is.

You're also going to find that you need more buttons so plan on all the ones you see in my photo. Living in Cincinnati you will definitely need a bottle heater. Once your bottle dips below 80 degrees or so you'll really start losing bottle pressure, and bottle pressure is everything. If you try a nitrous shot in cold weather without a bottle heater it'll be like you don't even have nitrous. You're also going to need a remote opener. You don't want to be driving around all the time with your system under pressure and you're certainly going to want to use your nitrous at a moments notice when that flashy ricer in the next lane needs to be shown what American muscle means.

Then after all that, check out this computer controller nitrous delivery system I put in.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51678

Please rethink your toggle switch idea, I'm sorry but I think they look hideous. Way too big and conspicous.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5twenty said:
I put mine next to the parking brake lever. They are safe from any passengers that might pull the "what does this button do - as they push the button" stunt or any other accidental usage. In the picture from left to right you will see my purge button, bottle heater switch and bottle opener switch.

I would not want to use a toggle for the purge. I would only use a momentary switch like the one that comes with the purge kit. If you leave it stuck on for even a second you've just lost a lot of $$$ worth of nitrous. And you'll soon find out it goes fast enough through the cylinders let alone blowing it into the wind. After you fill the bottle about 6 or 7 times you'll realize how precious your nitrous is.
Never thought about the "what does this button do" passenger angle.

There are certain "toggle" switches that are momentary...i.e. don't stay in the locked position. You just push them over and they bounce back...that is the only one I would use for the purge. However, point well taken...I may want to keep the purge button away from prying eyes since that is what could cost me some money...and an empty bottle if someone is screwing around.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot one thing...

You are going to LOVE your nitrous!!!!

and another thing...nice handle 4511.21!!! I bet 98% here do not understand the joke. I didn't until I googled it. Nice touch, ever thought of putting it on your plates? Naw, the only ones who would get it would be cops and you don't want to taunt them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I can taunt a little more than you might think. :winks

Not too many people pick up on the handle...but I seem to write it down a fair amount. And I already tried for the plate...they wouldn't let me put the "point" in there. :laughlitt

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And another thing...any pics of the trunk set-up on how the bottle was mounted. The prescribed or suggested mounting location...does that give me enough room for loading stuff in the trunk? There is no way I can lose the ability to put my golf clubs in there!

and this goes on and on...
Anyone running nitrous through the C&L set-up? I have an early version of the C&L inlet pipe which does not have a "boss" for the nitrous. What length out are you drilling for the hole?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hello, no mods done yet, Do you mind me asking what your total nitrous sysyem cost? I am going modify in the spring and my Wife will drive alot also, so i believe it would be a perfect choice.What downfalls have you seen,etc.Thanks,

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have my seat heater switches under / to the right of the P-brake... good spot!

I also have switches just infront of the shifter, before the 'bend'....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Although I don't have N2O, I have switches for the line locks and radiator fan on the console. And my exhaust cutout switch is on the dash, to the right of the steering column.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You guys ever see the start buttons that replace the lighter socket on the dash. In the distant future after I get my block ready for some spray, thats where I want to put my switch. With a smiley face to boot. :bounce2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You guys ever see the start buttons that replace the lighter socket on the dash. In the distant future after I get my block ready for some spray, thats where I want to put my switch. With a smiley face to boot. :bounce2:
i have one. A honda S2000 engine start button (I kno i have a honda part in my mustang) it looks cool there and is functional but its more for show than anything. still need to put the key in to start the car with the button

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i have been thinking about hooking the nitrous switch to the rear window defroster button. i won't ever need that rear defroster in my life, so, it would be perfectly hidden. and passengers won't know it is the nitrous on/off button. and it already has the led that comes on when the switch is activated.

i probably won't ever get nitrous. but, if i do, that is the first option i will exercise.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
i have been thinking about hooking the nitrous switch to the rear window defroster button. i won't ever need that rear defroster in my life, so, it would be perfectly hidden. and passengers won't know it is the nitrous on/off button. and it already has the led that comes on when the switch is activated.

i probably won't ever get nitrous. but, if i do, that is the first option i will exercise.
Then one day when your window gets fogged and an unsuspecting passenger hits the defrost when you aren't paying attention. Could be bad. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first switch is unused. The second bypasses the cooling fan. The third is for the bottle warmers. The last one arms the nitrous. The left pushbutton purges the nitrous. The right pushbutton engages the line locks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The first switch is unused. The second bypasses the cooling fan. The third is for the bottle warmers. The last one arms the nitrous. The left pushbutton purges the nitrous. The right pushbutton engages the line locks.
Dude, that is totally sik !!!:eyepoppin

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Okay... here is KJ going out on a limb... :tongue A bit ricey...??? :no:

[SORRY, I know it is an 11 sec Stang....]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Okay... here is KJ going out on a limb... :tongue A bit ricey...??? :no:

[SORRY, I know it is an 11 sec Stang....]
Gee, that unused switch. What can I use it for? I know, I'll put some green neon lights under the car. Gotta keep that ricey theme. :rollgrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts