Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 289 GT that has sat for a few years. It ran when we put it in storage. Recently began the process of getting it back on the road. Installed a new battery, turned it over to check spark. No spark. Since it had sat so long, we went ahead and replaced coil (which I thought was the issue), points, plugs, condenser, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Bumped the starter to set points, no problems. Get everything back together, turn the key and nothing happens. No clicks, no noise. Lights, radio, etc. do not work. Although the battery is new I checked it and I'm getting over 12 volts. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) If you have absolutely no power going to anything, there aren't very many things that can make that happen. I would start with obvious by checking the connections at both ends of both battery cables. If that isn't the problem, I would check the black wire with the yellow stripe that comes off of the hot side of the starter solenoid and takes power to the ignitions switch, headlight switch and emergency flasher circuits. :)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
If you were able to "bump" the starter then the problem should be on the low amp side of the system. Check your small wire contacts on your starter solenoid, clean them with contact cleaner (Electrical department at Lowes or Home Depot). Then check the contacts at your ignition switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought about solenoid but wasn't sure how to check it. How do you check it with pliers? Arc from + to -? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought about solenoid wasn't sure how to check it. With pliers do you mean arcing across + and -? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were able to "bump" the starter then the problem should be on the low amp side of the system. Check your small wire contacts on your starter solenoid, clean them with contact cleaner (Electrical department at Lowes or Home Depot). Then check the contacts at your ignition switch.
Thanks Yadkin but when I bumped the starter there were no problems. The issue didn't happen until I put everything back together. Now there is no power at all. Almost seems like a bad connection.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Will do Veronica. Was wondering if there was a fuse that could cause this?? Thanks
Hi again. :) No, there isn't a fuse that would do that. Also, the starter solenoid itself could not cause the electrical failure that you have described. The positive battery cable is attached to the same stud on the solenoid as that black/yellow wire, so, essentially, that wire is bolted to positive battery post if the positive cable is ok. Assuming that the negative cable is also ok, the only ways to kill power to everything are to A) disconnect that black/yellow wire from the solenoid, B) cut that black/yellow wire, or C) unplug the headlight harness from the firewall near the master cylinder, which is where that wire goes through the firewall to the area behind the dash. There are also things that could happen to that wire behind the dash between the firewall and where the wire splits off to go to the ignition switch, headlight switch and emergency flashers, but, it sounds like everything that you did was under the hood, not behind the dash. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again. :) No, there isn't a fuse that would do that. Also, the starter solenoid itself could not cause the electrical failure that you have described. The positive battery cable is attached to the same stud on the solenoid as that black/yellow wire, so, essentially, that wire is bolted to positive battery post if the positive cable is ok. Assuming that the negative cable is also ok, the only ways to kill power to everything are to A) disconnect that black/yellow wire from the solenoid, B) cut that black/yellow wire, or C) unplug the headlight harness from the firewall near the master cylinder, which is where that wire goes through the firewall to the area behind the dash. There are also things that could happen to that wire behind the dash between the firewall and where the wire splits off to go to the ignition switch, headlight switch and emergency flashers, but, it sounds like everything that you did was under the hood, not behind the dash. :)
I hate electrical issues!! I will check the connections you advised when I get home. Really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate electrical issues!! I will check the connections you advised when I get home. Really appreciate the help!
Hey Veronica you were right. There was a break in the black and yellow wire coming off the solenoid. I really appreciate it! I would never have found that on my own. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I'm glad to hear that you got things sorted out. :) A lot of people don't seem to be overly fond of trying to straighten out electrical weirdness, but it isn't really a big deal. It helps to think of the electrical flow the same way that you would the flow of water. For water to flow, you need a source, a clear path, and a pressure differential. The only difference is that the electrons, like Neo, have to return to The Source. :gringreen You need a clear path both ways. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hi again. :) I'm glad to hear that you got things sorted out. :) A lot of people don't seem to be overly fond of trying to straighten out electrical weirdness, but it isn't really a big deal. It helps to think of the electrical flow the same way that you would the flow of water. For water to flow, you need a source, a clear path, and a pressure differential. The only difference is that the electrons, like Neo, have to return to The Source. :gringreen You need a clear path both ways. :)
Very true. But just to expand on this, Voltage can be likened to water pressure and amperage (current) to the amount of water flowing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts