Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause my engine to not have a high idle on start up? I tried my friends computer and it didnt make a difference. I really dont want to have to swap in a different harness. I am running a b cam without a dyno tune. The car is running rich and thats another issue. I thought maybe the adjustable fuel regulator was bad so i pulled one off a towncar with a 5.0 in it. After i installed it and started the car for once the exhaust smelt properly burnt and i could tell the motor was running better but know two days later its back to smelling rich. please help me....

·
Registered
220 Posts
bad o2 sensor? On my old 5.0 it would run pig rich, especially on hot days until I replaced them. Replaced them and gas mileage came up and stopped running rich all the time. I know there is a way to test them, but I didn't think it was worth my time because the old ones had 150,000 on them. and as far as no high idle... stuck air bypass is all I can think of, is the idle steady all the time? no surging or in y our case dying?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i didnt think it could be the o2's cause i replaced them already but now that i think about it, it has been about three years. Also i did purchase them off rockauto for about $20 a pop. As for the air bypass is that located on the hose that comes out of the back of the smog pump? What if i deleted the smog pump would, would it fix the problem or just continue to do the same thing?

·
Registered
382 Posts
could also be the coolant temp sensor thats on the metal line running down the passenger side of the intake manifold, can be sending a false reading to the computer telling the computer the engine temp is at running tempature

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced that as well!

·
Registered
382 Posts
have you cleaned your tps or checked to see if its bad? sounds like a sensor problem

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i checked that the other day. I think im just going to get new o2's. Iv looked up this problem im having on google and almost every other mustang forum its the o2's. people reply back with good feed once they installed the new ones. At least if i get new ones and it dosent fix the problem i can eliminate them being the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts