Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i started out today washing car and cleaning engine took car for quick 5 min drive to dry came back finished cleaning car, about 2 hours later went to start car ran for 30 sec or so and a tap started and got worse looked at oil pressure and nothing car was knocking turned car off. Tried restarting once and it was knocking turned off immediatly. Do i have a bad oil pump? If so does motor need to be removed to replace it? Thanks again john

·
Registered
140 Posts
youve checked your oil level right? just want to be sure before you get into thinking its the pump when you could have lost all your oil somehow like the drain plug came out or something

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, oil level is fine was changed about 2 weeks ago. car is supercharged with kenne bell twin screw supercharger. i put msd box on car that morning car was running great before i washed it, dont think that had aything to do with it though, thanks john

·
Registered
216 Posts
Changed two weeks ago or not, did you check the level today?

I would start by pulling the distributor and try priming the pump. You can either get a priming tool (< $20) or try and rig a 5/16 socket so you can run it in a drill. Run the drill in reverse and see if you have resistance. You'll know if it's working.

You can check the pressure at this time as well.

If not then a tear down is in order.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'd try pulling the distributor and priming the oil pump with a drill. There should be quite a bit of resistance trying to turn the pump at full speed. If you can hook up a mechanical oil pressure checking gauge while doing this, and i recommend that you do, you should be able to get at least normal idle oil pressure from turning the pump with the drill, that is, at least 25 psi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.