Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a cruise last night and I looked at my gauges and the oil pressure was at 0!! I pulled over and checked my oil, it was a little low so I topped it off (Mobil 1, always used). No Change. I then tried to check the gauge connection and it seemed fine. The engine seemed to make a strange noise so I had it towed home. Does anyone know why under normal driving the oil pressure would just go to 0!! The gauge doesn't move at all.

Any idea on how I can check my oil pressure? Maybe the gauge is bad?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
What kind of a strange noise did the car make? There are many things that could lead to zero pressure, blocked pickup, bad pump, broken drive rod from the distributor, spun bearing, and the list goes on. Buy an inexpensive gauge and put it in to see if the factory gauge or sender is bad (I prefer mechanical gauges).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is kind of a weird metally, squeeky noise. Kind of like a belt squeek. But it sounded like a the engine.

I will get a cheep oil pressure gauge forsure. Where do I hook it up?

Where is the location of the oil pressure sending unit? Is it above the oil filter?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The sender unit is right next to the fuel pump (driver side front of engine, near oil filter) It is bell shaped with a single wire going to the top of it. You may have to crawl under the car to see it. Simply remove it (use wrench on hex nut at the base of the sending unit) and install the gauge in its place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about this idea, take out the distributer and put in a dummy distributer that will only spin the oil pump (powered by an electric drill) and check the oil pressure with the inexpensive gauge I install.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Make sure if you do like ttstang302 that you put the drill in reverse drive mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.