Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 mustang lx 2.3liter . no power is getting to the fuel pump ....what should i check ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fuel Pump

If you verified at the pump with a meter that you are not getting power to the pump then you should check the pump to ground resistance. It probably will be good but it could also be bad and it is good to know for later steps of troubleshooting.

If the pump to ground is bad fix that problem first then start troubleshooting from the beginning.

Check for power at the fuel pump relay. I don't know where the relay is in your particular model mustang but it is the next piece to check. If you have power at the relay and not at the pump you gotta check the wire from relay to pump for a break.

if you don't have power on either side of the relay then you have to check your wire from the relay to the fuel pump fuse.

There is also a signal wire to the fuel pump relay telling it to let power go to the fuel pump. You need to check this if you have power coming from the fuel pump fuse but not going to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"okay"... step one i completed . i bought a brand new fuel pump and inline fuel filter and i installed both, i checked pump to ground and it works :bigthumbsup but the wires are not giving power to the fuel pump:nono: , so im working on step two now. i went to pepboys and bought a brand new fuel pump relay.... im lookin to replace the old one this saturday:hihi:. im still tryin to locate where the relay is on my ride... i'll keep you updated ..... thanks for the adsive it sounds like im working in the right direction..:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might Help

In some 2.3liters, the fuel pump relay is located under the drivers seat;in others,it is located in the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM). It is a black box witha bunch of wires going to it. It is mounted on the passenger side front shock tower in the engine bay. If your fuel pump relay is in there, you are going to have a hard time finding a replacement. Youhave to replace the whole unit. Expect to pay 100-130.00 brand new for the unit,if you can find one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In some 2.3liters, the fuel pump relay is located under the drivers seat;in others,it is located in the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM). It is a black box witha bunch of wires going to it. It is mounted on the passenger side front shock tower in the engine bay. If your fuel pump relay is in there, you are going to have a hard time finding a replacement. Youhave to replace the whole unit. Expect to pay 100-130.00 brand new for the unit,if you can find one.
okay,now that you mention the under the seat location.... i noticed a wire under my seat with a grey male adapter thats not plugged , maybe i unplugged it when i was vaccuming out the mustang ? i will check that frist... i bought a fuel pump relay ,not knowing if the one in now is bad or not i was just going to replace if anyway... im going to check under the seat tonight after work, if thats not it ill look into buying new (IRCM). THANKS FRIEND :bigthumbsup I'LL UPDATE YOU ON THE STATUS OF MY 1993 MUSTANG LX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most likely, the wire under your seat is for a power seat option. If your car does not have power seats, then the harness remains unplugged and goes to nothing. I'll bet your fuel pump relayi s in the IRCM.

·
Registered
654 Posts
87 to 90 fuel pump relay is under the seat, 91 and newer is the icrm or constant control module, that's what they call it on a taurus, same thing. if you're really cheap( like me ) you can chop the wires off at the module and run a relay, my a/c has been like that on my taurus for 7 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya what the last post said;) id bet my next paycheck . i own a 93 lx 2.3 and after a few ful pump replacements i found that my ircm was bad it cost me 200 bucks but been running 4 yrs since replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.