Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 LX convertible and I cannot get the turn signals to work. I have replaced the switch and the relay and still nothing. The hazard lights do work and the lights will come on, but no signals. The arrows will not even light up on the dash - although they will when the hazards are on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
check fuses?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i had the same problem make sure u have the right relay

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds like the multifunction switch that you use to operate the turn signals and wiper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't think so. I have two 89's and I took the switch out of the vert and put it in my other 89 and it worked fine. I also bought a new switch and it doesn't work either. This is about to drive me crazy. Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check the turn signals flasher unit (located behind the center of the dash attached with a support bracket), I think you can switch the hazard lights flasher (located behind the fuse box) with it to verify it's not working.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just tried the flasher relay and still doesn't work. I just bought the car recently - the guy I bought it from told me about the problem and he thought it was in the switch, but he was obviously wrong. The car does have an aftermarket sound system - a sony. when I cut the key off - a few seconds later a beep - I assume from the sound system comes from what sounds like under the dash behind the fuse box. And also the relay was broken loose from the bracket. I haven't had time to get under the dash and look closely, but upon a short inspection everything looked fine, except for the relay not in the bracket. This is starting to drive me crazy. Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looking at the schematic, there is one small detail that is usually overlooked. The hazard swith is used as a bridge to provide voltage to the turn signals switch.

You can either replace the hazard switch, if you have a spare on hand or, place a jumper between the two wires at the hazard switch connector, these are white-red and orange-yellow in color and then check the turn signals.

If this doesn't work, the wiring needs to be checked.
Good luck....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.