Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction to figure what's wrong with my radio. 06 GT with the factory Shaker 500 radio.
Radio powers on and display is ok, but very, very low sound (to low to hear), with volume turned to max. Weird part is the sound is only out for FM, volume is fine when radio is tuned to AM stations.
Any ideas where to look?

Thx

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
IMHO, time to pull it out and send to a shop for a quick diagnosis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this system have an external amp, or does the radio supply all the power to speakers?
If no external amp, it looks like time for a new head unit / radio?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not unusual for a 15-year-old stereo to experience problems. Seems like it would be more cost-effective to purchase a new head unit with the most recent features.
I also had the shaker 500 in my 2006, and I pulled everything. Replaced speakers, head unit and added some amplifiers and trunk-mounted subs.
good luck in your quest for a solution.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
I guess I am a little late to chime in . . . the only thing I could think of that would affect FM and not AM (other than tuner failure) is the antenna . . .any way the FM antenna might have been unplugged or damaged somehow?

I guess you'll find that out when you install the new radio head unit

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The Shaker 500's were ok but there's much better out there, maybe look at upgrading?? I almost upgraded to the Kicker Audio System back in 2010, but I didn't win the raffle at the car show so............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for all the replies, it was radio.
I put in a Boss BE7ACP-C and all is well.
So nice to have Apple Car play and back-up camera.
Hopefully this lasts as long as the factory radio did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts