Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, soo, freshly rebuilt 302 took the time while i had the heads off to take them into my shop and have them ported and all the ports matched, get her back together let her sit for a day, start it up, everythings great, no leaks, good sound. i take it out can feel a difference in the torque by far. however....

The problem:
After having drove it for a while, checked all the fluids after bout 30min everythings good, start it up and head home, out of no where the stang starts kind of bucking, eventually dying.

turn key- nothing happens, (was the ignition- switch-fixed)

but still neither turning key, or jumping from the solenoid produces a spark

with turning the key the fuel pump primes and motor turns, can smell gas from where i removed plug. plug to block no spark.

checked power to coil- 12.99v
replaced coil. still no spark.

ran some tests on the TFI
replaced it along with the distributor and PIP
still no spark although i swore id seen a very faint(not strong or blue) but getting nothin.

Any ideas?
and does anyone know if the PCM/ ECU/ crappy computer box from the passenger kick panel would cause no spark?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Pull the spout plug and check for spark. Its vary rare that the ecm kills spark, because then stock system is stand alone. Meaning it can produce spark even with the computer unhooked.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
No..... no relays for spark. You have a volt meter, hook up the positive lead to the battery positive, and negative lead to the coil negative wire. Crank engine, you should see a pulse on the meter. That test is usually easier with a Test Light though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, ill need to rig up a test light,i checked continuity from the #5(green/yellow) from the distributor plug to the coil(since lately ive been feeling a lot of distrust with the wiring in the engine bay), but it was good, also like i said jus replaced the distributor in its entirety, have feeling i may have gotten a bed new part lol. but ill rig up a test light and give it a go

·
Registered
34 Posts
yea, ill need to rig up a test light,i checked continuity from the #5(green/yellow) from the distributor plug to the coil(since lately ive been feeling a lot of distrust with the wiring in the engine bay), but it was good, also like i said jus replaced the distributor in its entirety, have feeling i may have gotten a bed new part lol. but ill rig up a test light and give it a go
Its the distrubutor. Or the stator in the distributor to be exact. I have seen several new aftermarket distributors bad out of the box. And one that worked for about an hour....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts