Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '92 started running like crap about a week or so ago - bucking, leaning out,(my plugs looked like someone painted them white) and missing at times throughout the RPM range. Tonight it was idling as I checked it out, and it stalled. Now it won't start. I pulled the #5 plug wire, and had my neighbor crank it - no spark. Checked the coil resistance, it was within spec. So I pulled the TFI out, and tested it. Well, my book calls for "less than 2 ohms" between the Ground and Ignition Ground terminals, and for "less than 200 ohms" between the PIP and PIP In terminals. I got zero for both of these readings, but that IS less than the 2 and 200 ohms.:confused: There's no continuity between the two ground terminals, and if I'm reading the book right, there should be. I've got fuel pressure. Is the TFI bad? because if it's the Hall sender I'm just gonna replace the whole dizzy.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Take it to a parts store and have them test the module. If it tests ok, grab a distributor.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, went to the Advance (about 4 miles on a bike) and the TFI tested bad. Their tester heats 'em up too. Threw the new one one on, and it started right up. It was idling kind of crappy still, (I haven't let it warm up yet) so I hope that damned Hall sender isn't failing too. It's sitting with the battery disconnected now, to clear the memory.
Thanks Ghost.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is running, but still like crap. I've got no codes, a new fuel filter, the secondary ignition is ok, what gives. The idle isn't very steady, and when cruising under load, the motor feels like it's cutting out just for an instant. If you try to hold the revs at 2000 RPM, it will hunt and not hold a constant speed. I've also tried wiggling the ignition key, with no change. I'm baffled. Is my Hall sender going bad?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.