Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'5" and for years drove around with my arms fully extended. Then came the wonder of being able to get cars with telescoping steering wheels.

When the 5.0 was re-introduced, I didn't let the lack of the telescoping wheel stop me from ordering but I'm annoyed that something that's been standard in so many cars for so long isn't included on this car.

For taller Mustang owerns: do you have any recommendations for adjusting the seating or steering wheel to amelioriate this problem? Is there a way to move the wheel out aftermarket that isn't ghetto? Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't have my mustang yet, but usually it's as far down, slightly tilted back, and set comfortable for distance.

I drove around for a day or two with my telescopic wheel all the way forward to make sure I could handle it.

Seriously, no telescopic steering wheel, WTH?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have the same problem.....I get the seat adjusted where my legs are comfortable and I'm reaching a mile for the steering wheel...I believe the reason for the far away wheel is to keep the air bag from injuring short drivers who sit with their knees under the dash....I hope someone here does have a solution for the problem :racer:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I find I sit with my seat back almost vertical to make the reach comfortable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 6'1" and I find I sit with my seat back almost vertical to make the reach comfortable.
If I do that, my head is centimeters from the head liner. I'm glad I'm not the only one though. Our steering wheels are like ape hangers on a bike. LMAO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have the same problem. I've searched and searched for telescopic steering wheels/columns and spacers. Anyone NOT having the problem will never understand it. I KNOW telescoping steering wheels exist for the S197s because both Saleen and Ultimate Bad Boys (UBB) offer them in their Mustangs. I have been unable, when contacting both, to find out where they're getting their parts for this option.

Russ

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has there been any further development on this? Or maybe a steering wheel spacer?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Same here, I'm 6'8", but got use to it, and obviously that didn't stop me from getting my Mustang, but yeah, a telescopic steering wheel would have been nice!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
lol, I'm not particularly tall and I'd like a telescoping wheel too. My arms and torso are proportionately longer than my legs; I have my seat forward so I can floor the clutch -- then I have to lay the seat waaaay back so I have a natural curve to my arms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, as shorter 5' 6" guy, I wish they had adjustable pedals so my knees weren't so close to the dash.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
It doesn't bother me. Don't really need it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, as shorter 5' 6" guy, I wish they had adjustable pedals so my knees weren't so close to the dash.
2012 Pony Package V6 .
same here, i am 5'7" and not much room for my knees when my seating position is adjusted for performance driving. Every day driving is ok, but i get much more adjustements and more knee room in my 04 Mazda 3 wich has the telescopic wheel. Oh well, guess we can't have everything.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I kept my wheel in my GTO telescoped all the way towards me...and I do the same in my Civic. I was a little disappointed to find out the Mustang didn't have it but thankfully it's pretty much in the exact position I would have put mine anyway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
5'10 and in need of a telescope steering wheel. Cause If I get into a good sitting position I am reaching towards the steering.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Has anyone else found out anything to minimize stress on the arms or able to keep the knees from being so close to the dash? I am 5'10 and once I find my comfortable spot I am eithier to far away to reach the steering wheel comfortably or I am so close my knees hit the bottom of the steering wheel column or the dash when I brake. It drives me nuts and I feel like I am missing out on the car due to always adjusting my seat and becoming frustrated. AGRHH any seating positions you guys use to help or make the ride more comfortable?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Deal with it you 2-story fruitcakes! That's what you get for making fun of me for not being able to reach things because I'm only 5'-8".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I guess I must be proportioned just right (leg to arm lenght). I'm 6'1" and have no problem with not having a telescoping wheel. I have taken several 3hr trips and find the Mustang comfortable and that's having a Lincoln Towncar that can spoil anyone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guess I must be proportioned just right (leg to arm lenght). I'm 6'1" and have no problem with not having a telescoping wheel. I have taken several 3hr trips and find the Mustang comfortable and that's having a Lincoln Towncar that can spoil anyone.
+1 on this but I'm a short guy. I used to drive mom's 94 Crown Vic a lot as a kid. Some days I would cover the coast from San Diego to Malibu and feel like I could keep going forever. My Mustang is the first car of many I have driven since that even comes close. It's a much different feeling, but comfortable just the same. Plus, 3/4 of a tank will get me to Vegas nonstop. Fun as hell in that car with the tinted glass and black leather. Ah I'm gettin all emotional. Sorry guys, she's been parked a couple months waiting for an extensive freshening up. Trying to be patient and wait until I have enough to just take it to a good shop and leave this one to the pros. March is looking good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 44 Posts