Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys! I have a 2011 Mustang GT 6 speed with 79,809 miles on it. It’s currently making a weird noise from the front of the car. I was wondering if anyone has heard this sound before? Here is the sound. I was thinking possibly one of the pulleys?

Also, there’s this… It may be related.

· Administrator
7,797 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 2011 Mustang GT 6 speed with 79,809 miles on it. It’s currently making a weird noise from the front of the car. I was wondering if anyone has heard this sound before? Here is the sound. I was thinking possibly one of the pulleys?

Is the front defrost on or A/C on? It kinda sounds like the A/C compressor cycling but it's short. If either the defrost or A/C is on switch it off to see if you are still getting that noise.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the front defrost on or A/C on? It kinda sounds like the A/C compressor cycling but it's short. If either the defrost or A/C is on switch it off to see if you are still getting that noise.
Nothing on the climate control was on. My car’s ac clutch was turning on and off when the ac was on, it hasn’t done that in a while though. This video it was just at idle in neutral with nothing on.

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
It's definitely a weird sound. The length and timing of it isn't consistent either. My guess would also have been the a/c system but if you say the defrost setting wasn't even on(the a/c will always kick on if defrost is selected) then that rules that out. I agree with my89foxbody to get a stethoscope and place it in different spots of the engine compartment as it sporadically sounds off to try to get it near the source.
The EVAP system opens and closes the purge valve. Perhaps the system has a leak. Have you scanned the car for any codes?

· Tech Advisor
5,910 Posts
It turns out the OP has does in fact have an EVAP code coming up. He posted another thread.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hello guys! I have a 2011 Mustang GT 6 speed. I did a coolant flush about 2 months ago and recently replaced the purge valve because of a small evap leak code. Could anyone verify this sound for me, it sounds like it’s coming from the top, driver side part of the engine. Nothing on the climate control is on, car is in neutral and idles completely fine. Car doesn’t overheat at all. None of the pulleys seem loose when I checked. It has gotten worse over the last 2 months. The link to the sound will be down below.

· Registered
22 Posts
From what I'm hearing it sounds like a tear down and rebuild time. Lots of clattering going on. Could be in heads or wrists pins. Possible chain slapping going on.
Why I built an older 5.0L for my '97. Yes I know, a '97 didn't come with 5.0L. A k member swap will fix that problem.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I'm hearing it sounds like a tear down and rebuild time. Lots of clattering going on. Could be in heads or wrists pins. Possible chain slapping going on.
Why I built an older 5.0L for my '97. Yes I know, a '97 didn't come with 5.0L. A k member swap will fix that problem.
ahhh that is unfortunate… I will have to check it out. when I put a stethoscope onto the car, it sounds like it’s coming from one of the coolant passages/water pump. But I’m not sure if a failing water pump would make that noise.

I also did a compression test about a month ago and all the cylinders checked out fine. The ticking noise is from a faulty purge valve I got from autozone that I have to replace back… would that change your opinion about this engine needing a rebuild? I have some car knowledge and shop experience but I have never tore down an engine before and I do not have the money to send this car to a shop as I am currently a student. And thank you for your response!

· Tech Advisor
5,910 Posts
No, that's completely inaccurate and is just scare mongering. There is no major clattering sound from within the engine or any other internal basic engine sound in that video and there is no need for a rebuild with 79k miles on a Coyote 5.0. The engine pretty much sounds fine other than the intermittent sound that he pointed out and the clicking sound like a spark plug firing at the end.
The sporadic hollow air sound is what he started the thread about. Along with his EVAP code I think we've already pretty much established that the sound is an EVAP leak that makes itself known when the purge valve opens/closes.
Your old 5.0 small block has no relevance at all to this particular conversation...
ahhh that is unfortunate… I will have to check it out. when I put a stethoscope onto the car, it sounds like it’s coming from one of the coolant passages/water pump. But I’m not sure if a failing water pump would make that noise.

I also did a compression test about a month ago and all the cylinders checked out fine. The ticking noise is from a faulty purge valve I got from autozone that I have to replace back… would that change your opinion about this engine needing a rebuild? I have some car knowledge and shop experience but I have never tore down an engine before and I do not have the money to send this car to a shop as I am currently a student. And thank you for your response!
Your engine basically sounds fine and almost certainly does not need to be ripped apart. Do not worry. The clicking sound at the end of the video if it's even coming from the engine almost certainly isn't going to mean a rebuild.
The generic aftermarket purge valve that you bought is the likely problem. This is why it's always advisable to only buy Motorcraft parts. Aftermarket parts are typically inferior to the ones from Ford. Unless the brand was the supplier of the part for Ford it will not be of an equal standard.
My post in your other thread described what you should look for to fix it if it turns out the purge valve itself isn't the issue since it may be a cracked or loose connection or hose: (249) 2011 mustang gt Code p0442 | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)

· Registered
496 Posts
^ this above ^

I concur with the experts here. You have an EVAP system issue that should be easily resolvable. If you are a little leery of troubleshooting further, this is one where I would not hesitate to refer you to a dealer or other reputable shop. Be confident when you walk in that door, act like you own the place.

"I have an evap system issue I want repaired. Based on my research, this should take no more than 1 hr of diagnostic time (typical minimum shop charge) and I'll pay book rate for labor time and list price for Ford OEM part(s). I just want it professionally done, that is all."

FYI - your issue is an "intermittent" one, which again confirms the EVAP system --> because that operates cyclically.

The noise CANNOT by definition be a pulley other mechanical rotating component because otherwise the noise would be at RPM frequency and constant.

Good luck!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ this above ^ I concur with the experts here. You have an EVAP system issue that should be easily resolvable. If you are a little leery of troubleshooting further, this is one where I would not hesitate to refer you to a dealer or other reputable shop. Be confident when you walk in that door, act like you own the place. "I have an evap system issue I want repaired. Based on my research, this should take no more than 1 hr of diagnostic time (typical minimum shop charge) and I'll pay book rate for labor time and list price for Ford OEM part(s). I just want it professionally done, that is all." FYI - your issue is an "intermittent" one, which again confirms the EVAP system --> because that operates cyclically. The noise CANNOT by definition be a pulley other mechanical rotating component because otherwise the noise would be at RPM frequency and constant. Good luck!
Hey! Thank you all so much for your response, I actually solved the issue. So the noise was actually the waterpump. The original one had a plastic cap on top where you bolt the pulley on to and the noise was overtime that piece became loose but wouldn't fully come out and occasionally when its loose it would make that small rattling noise. I ended up replacing the waterpump with a new one and the noise is non existent! I also do have an evap leak and found that to be a hole in the fuel filler neck so I replaced that as well. No more headaches from the mustang haha.

· Registered
496 Posts
Well done! Golf clapping!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts