Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the way to work this morning, I noticed what sounded like short bursts of air (also sounds like when a hi hat cymbal comes together) from the front of my 06 Mustang GT Manual. I thought maybe it was just the fan kicking on and off, but after all the problems with the last bucket I used to drive (93 Camry V6) I get paranoid easily. I wasn't able to isolate it to any behavior - I heard it at a stop, at freeway speeds, in neutral, in every gear... hopefully it's just the fan.

I was just curious if anyone else has heard this kind of noise, and if it's normal. I don't want to go down to the dealer and be known as the car-hypochondriac. Your input is appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I dont own an 05/06 but I'm pretty sure that anything that sounds like a "hi hat cymbal" crash from the front (or any other part of the car) isnt normal.

Hopely one of our 05/06 owners will chime in and give you a more straight forward answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mizzow said:
So on the way to work this morning, I noticed what sounded like short bursts of air (also sounds like when a hi hat cymbal comes together) from the front of my 06 Mustang GT Manual. I thought maybe it was just the fan kicking on and off, but after all the problems with the last bucket I used to drive (93 Camry V6) I get paranoid easily. I wasn't able to isolate it to any behavior - I heard it at a stop, at freeway speeds, in neutral, in every gear... hopefully it's just the fan.

I was just curious if anyone else has heard this kind of noise, and if it's normal. I don't want to go down to the dealer and be known as the car-hypochondriac. Your input is appreciated.:confused:
I don't have a clue what a hi hat cymbal sounds like. But if it's a ticking type sound. And you either have your A/C or Defroster on... The sound your hearing is the A/C COmpressor cycling. Leave the car at idle. And look at the A/C COmpressor and see if the clutch is activating.

Ben

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The fan does sound like a rush of air when it kicks in, I noticed it more in the warmer months. In fact when I would shut the engine off the fan was loud as it was winding down.

·
Registered
261 Posts
a/c clutch is what it is .cycles when a/c is on and defrost on . it even cycles when heat is sent to feet. i find this very annoying and loud too. when put in vent position it does not cycle. balls!!! vynle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It sure sounds like the AC clutch, as already mentioned.

I had mine replaced, covered by warranty. They resisted at first, but I said it wasn't making that noise when I bought, therefore it should be fixed...they agreed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
a/c clutch noise

The noise you are hearing is almost definitely the a/c comp. cycling. Next time you notice it, simply turn off the a/c and see if the noise goes away. If you isolate the noise to the a/c comp. then there is a possibility the clutch hub can be shimmed a bit tighter (.030" is the minimum gap you can run). If you have a feeler gauge measure the gap between the hub and the pulley with the engine off. No matter what, you will always hear it engaging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts