Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
we just put a new 3:73 gear in the car lastnight and when i get to about 45-50 mph it starts to hummmmm, what is that noise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
me and my buddy,,he owned his own car shop in miami, looks good and its a motive gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Noise

Do you remember what the backlash was in the gear set when setting up the spacers? With an indicator, you should have had about .0100" of backlash between the ring and pinion. May be to tight..

·
Registered
20 Posts
no i don't but it wansn't that tight, and how could i fix that back lash to make it perfect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Shims

Using shims of different sizes, they move the carrier with the ring gear to the right (tighter) or to the left (looser) to make up the space between the gear set. With an indicator on a tooth of the ring, it should rotate approx .0100" before the pinion starts to move.

G

·
The humming noise

Its happened to me before, thought i'd throw in some advice. If you've alleviated that it is not the rear end or a gear issue, then what i did is i checked the rear brakes. If you have rear disc brakes and not drums sometimes you can clamp the caliper onto the rotor a little to tightly, causing the pads to rub when they heat up and cool down quickly. I.E. before you get on the highway you stop at stop lights warming them up then get on the highway and they cool down and expand. Although thats if they're riding the rotor. Just a helpful hint and maybe one more alleviation to your issue. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
that also could be it since i did the breaks also yesterday, but it does not sound like it draging cause when i let off the gas it stops, but as soon as i get back on the gas it starts to humm again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
mine have a faint gear whine/whistle sound at about 65 mph but are quiet at all other speeds. Can you feel it or is it just a noise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a noise, but a loud one at that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.