Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock MT-82 Transmission in my 2011 Roush Stage 2 Supercharged Mustang. Additionally I have a Dual Disk Mcleod Racing clutch installed about 5000 miles ago.

My issue is when accelerating in 1st through 4th there's a grinding/shearing sound that does not sound normal. It does not happen in 5th or 6th gear however. The noise is not loud enough to hear with the top down and does not seem to be getting louder as of now but wondering what the issue may be. This only happens when accelerating and slighty when just crusing but not in neutral or 5th and 6th gear.

Attached is some clips with this sound. Any information to help would be great.

Thanks
-BlueCharged5.0

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wasn't able to open your sound files to be able to hear your issue. However, I know on mine that it whines when it's cold when you accelerate. And some when it's hot. This is normal for it to whine cause it isnt the quietest transmission around. This is on a full bolt on 2012 gt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts
I have a stock MT-82 Transmission in my 2011 Roush Stage 2 Supercharged Mustang. Additionally I have a Dual Disk Mcleod Racing clutch installed about 5000 miles ago.

My issue is when accelerating in 1st through 4th there's a grinding/shearing sound that does not sound normal. It does not happen in 5th or 6th gear however. The noise is not loud enough to hear with the top down and does not seem to be getting louder as of now but wondering what the issue may be. This only happens when accelerating and slighty when just crusing but not in neutral or 5th and 6th gear.

Attached is some clips with this sound. Any information to help would be great.

Thanks
-BlueCharged5.0
I do hear the noise you're referring to. It sounds like a tight drive belt, but if that's a transmission noise it could be any number of things I would suppose. Hopefully someone else here will be more helpful than I.

You really need to isolate the noise and pinpoint it's place or origin.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts
I wasn't able to open your sound files to be able to hear your issue. However, I know on mine that it whines when it's cold when you accelerate. And some when it's hot. This is normal for it to whine cause it isnt the quietest transmission around. This is on a full bolt on 2012 gt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Download the clips, rename them to remove the .html after the .mp3 extension.

·
Registered
29 Posts
stock shifter? usually with an aftermarket you'll hear a little vibration. if it isnt grinding, popping out of gear or doing anything out of the ordinary I'd say keep driving it and not worry unless it gets worse. how many miles does it have? I couldnt hear the clips either it wouldnt work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts
What I can hear is not any kind of a grind at all. What I can hear sounds like a PD blower winding up through the RPM’s. Like heavy belt tension noise. I don’t hear anything else on the files that stand out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I can hear is not any kind of a grind at all. What I can hear sounds like a PD blower winding up through the RPM’s. Like heavy belt tension noise. I don’t hear anything else on the files that stand out.
This can occur only through 1st-4th gears? It does not happen in 5th or 6th. Where do you think this would be happening?

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts
I would imagine your RPM’s being lower in 5th/6th play a sizable roll in that. The internet being what it is, I can only guess. Perhaps there’s a noise I can’t hear on the clips. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from and it worries you a lot, it’s time for a trip to a shop.

As already stated above, it sounds like belt tension noise to me, but again..... Internet guess.. :wink:

Reactions: BlueCharged5.0
1 - 10 of 10 Posts