Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is like a whirring noise. (manual tran) I read in the manual not to shift down above 15mph, but I sometimes do it around 15 and hear a WHIRRRRRR.

Also I could not resist peeling out on my new 06, and did so with only 200 miles on it. Is that going to come back and haunt me?

·
Registered
122 Posts
first off, manual trans' make that noise, it is normal. the gears whine in the lower gears especially in first. second, your car will be fine. ford motors nowadays can be run hard from the factory and be no problem. i've replaced motors at work and went to test drive and didnt exactly drive like a grandma with no problems. i mean, i wouldnt take to the track quite yet but you dont have to keep it under 3000 rpm or anything... just my experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
JC8076 said:
It is like a whirring noise. (manual tran) I read in the manual not to shift down above 15mph, but I sometimes do it around 15 and hear a WHIRRRRRR.

Also I could not resist peeling out on my new 06, and did so with only 200 miles on it. Is that going to come back and haunt me?
the first month i owned my V6, i took it to an abandoned parking lot (my old high school), and did some burnouts and cookies with a buddy. the next day i had a clamp holding a wire dangling down onto the asphalt while driving. i took it in and the dealer fixed it for free (i told them it just popped off). so the car isn't bulletproof, but my thinking is to drive it relatively hard while the warranty is there to see how tough it is. so far, the clamp busting is all that's gone wrong...::knocking on wood::

i'm a little nicer on her now. she's been good to me.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I can't figure out why you would be shifting into 1st while moving.

·
Registered
121 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I can't figure out why you would be shifting into 1st while moving.
he's right. i can't figure that out either. it's not good for the car to downshift into first while decelerating. use your brakes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I downshift to first while moving fairly often. Those times when that person turning in front of you makes you almost stop before they're out of the way...but you're still rolling. Coming into a parking lot or driveway at a slow enough speed that second is bogged... Not really for recreational use:winks , just when the conditions dictate.

And like they said, some whine is normal, as the synchros get up to speed for the gear mesh.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh so that explains the noise. yeah i could get away with second on some slow stuff i just need to get used to it. I came from a 4cyl so i used 1st a bit more out of necessity.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Almost every manual car I've ever owned has made a whirring noise while shifting down into 1st. I hardly ever do it but sometimes there is a need. In have to do it all the time in my Wrangler while off-roading especially when the obstacles are spread out.
I'm also pretty sure it's the syncro's as already mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts