Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as of the last few months my front end has been making 2 odd noises, the 1 one i hear when I
a) go over a speed bump, and i try to stop too fast. (Same noise sound: it sounds like a loud thud)
b)i have like an old rusty metal creak when i drive.

I was told that (a) was bad lower ball joints, and (b) was my shocks.

Could i get a second opinion or two?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sounds like a bad lower ball joint. When the car is parked, pop the hood and in the area of the strut tower put both your hands and push firmly downwards and let go quickly. If the car "bounces" instead of going back up and immediately stopping you likely have worn struts too. Worn struts should not cause the "thud" you hear, but it can cause a squeak if the bushings are bad or the strut has leaked out the oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, i just pushed firmly on the strut tower, and it had a bounce to it. So if i buy a coil-over kit from say AM, would that be a good way to go to replace my struts, and shocks since my suspension has probably never been changed? I do want to lower my car a inch or two as well. My question would be: Should i buy coil over kits to fixed suspension and lower my ride?

·
Registered
932 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Are the parts original or can you tell if they might have been changed out? A bad tie rod end, ball joint or strut and cause the issues and noises you hear. Sway bar end links and the sway bar to frame bushings also can cause similar noises. If the car has the bounce I would change the struts out. While doing that I would look at the rest of the front end and make sure all parts are tight and no other movement to suggest bad parts. Probably a bad outer tie rod end and struts causing your headaches though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts