Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GT with 155,xxx miles. I am getting a noise the majority of the time that sounds similar to an exhaust leak. I know what an exhaust leak sounds like because I owned a Mustang a few years back that had one. My current Mustang had the back half of the system replaced because the previous owner was an idiot. From the cats back is completely new pipes with two flow master 40's and larger tips. I had these professionally installed and was assured by two different reputable exhaust shops that my cars exhaust system is in perfect condition. So I know it's not that. It comes from the engine, the more I accelerate, the louder the noise gets. When I have my A/C on is when I can hear it the loudest. It is just an extremely annoying sound that I would like to fix. I am going to try and video the sound tomorrow and post on youtube. This might be an issue that has just come up over time. The car was not taken very well care of before me so that could be the problem, neglect....
Any info i appreciated as always! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 94 V6 with what sounds like an exhaust leak. Trying to find the source, but I can't see any marks, or feel any airflow, around the header, flange or pipe. the head gasket seems intact, around the block.
I'm thinking it may be the EGR valve, or piping to/from?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Important. make sure that the noise is not the sound of a spark plug backing out. Recommend re-torquing the spark plugs to the factory specs as soon as possible.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it isn't a spark plug issue because the sound has always been there and I've replaced the spark plugs three times (intake manifold crack). There's never been any issues with spark plugs backing out or anything wrong with the plugs in general. How could the EGR be a possibility? I don't really know a lot about that particular part.
Also, here is the video I made today. Crank up your speakers once I finish talking in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_WLmuDye2s

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced my PCV valve a few days ago. The valve didn't really need replacing, but I had already bought it...and it's $2 so I went ahead and replaced it. I noticed that my exhaust leak sound has gotten a lot quieter since then. Almost gone away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts