Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes hear a strange whinning when I put the car in park on my 5.0 AOD 1985. If I move it to reverse or drive and back to park again it goes away. I've read on here that it might actually be the power steering pump but since I am change the transmission selector it makes me think otherwise. Unless I am just changing the idle enough to quiet the pump.
I had the tran rebuilt two years ago(still under warranty for 1 more year). I have always heard this sound before as well as after the rebuild.
Anyone have this problem?
thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pretty odd...I guess the first thing I'd do would be to see if turning the wheel when this sounds occuring affects it....Does the pump whine/hiss when turning during "parking lot" driving (more than a normal fox pump, I mean)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
check the fluid in the pump, if its black or real dark, suck it all out and put some new stuff in it, that should help a bit!. ford pumps are pritty crapy...!

LUKE

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Agreed, power steering pumps werent ford quietest designs with age. Try putting the car in neutral and turning the wheel all the way.

All of the mustangs I've looked at that have old pumps made a lot of noise when turned all the way. A new pump took care of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.