Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if non ethanol fuel is worth it?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
you'd have to compare your mpg to the cost difference and find out

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ethanol free gas will give you better mpgs but, usually costs more. So, if you are looking for the cost savings, you would have to weigh out the cost difference vs the mpg difference.

B

·
0 Posts
If you are near any type of a water community you can typically find a station that caters to boaters who require ethanol free gas. Just look to see if you have a marina close by.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
for sure go NON ethanol, the stuff with ethanol will eventually lead to corrosion within the cylinders and even the outer edges of the valves

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm jealous that you even have a choice!! Where is that?

Nothing around here I know of either. Did here of a station that had 95 Octane. Guess I need to call the guy that told me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
for sure go NON ethanol, the stuff with ethanol will eventually lead to corrosion within the cylinders and even the outer edges of the valves
I hate to be the guy to crash your party, but not true at all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
From what I have heard and read, ethanol in gas makes boat engines run terrible and lawn equipment too. The car companies seem to have tuned our cars to run ethanol just fine but, if it is not so good for boats and lawn equipment, I would think it would be best for the health of our cars to run ethanol free if possible. Ethanol free will give us better mpgs also. I do a mix. Sometimes I run ethanol free, sometimes 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yup I run the pure gas in my lawn equipment since I can go right down to the dock. When ethonol was $3.83 a gallon the pure stuff was $4.08....not too far off.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
google is your friend... ive seen countless pictures of corroded engine internals from using fuel with up to 10% ethanol over a span of 5+ years... dont believe me? thats fine...
What are some companies that provide ethanol free gas? I don't know of any in ontario.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
What are some companies that provide ethanol free gas? I don't know of any in ontario.
you will need to switch to 91 octane brother. I know it costs more, but its give you better MPG's, a smoother idling engine and little bit of extra punch. You can get 91 octane at most stations. I get mine from shell. All the stations with 87 octane have up to 10% ethanol and as for 89 octane... they have up to 5% ethanol. 91 octane has no ethanol. I would go Shell. But if you really want you can hit the Petro Canada, they have the highest octane in Ontario which is 94.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you will need to switch to 91 octane brother. I know it costs more, but its give you better MPG's, a smoother idling engine and little bit of extra punch. You can get 91 octane at most stations. I get mine from shell. All the stations with 87 octane have up to 10% ethanol and as for 89 octane... they have up to 5% ethanol. 91 octane has no ethanol. I would go Shell. But if you really want you can hit the Petro Canada, they have the highest octane in Ontario which is 94.
Yeah thanks. I got off the phone with shell and petro people and they confirned all that info. Will give the 91 a try at next fill. Scared to see what the 94 at petro canada is priced at.

·
Registered
719 Posts
google is your friend... ive seen countless pictures of corroded engine internals from using fuel with up to 10% ethanol over a span of 5+ years... dont believe me? thats fine...
No, I do not belive you. Car companies in general have designed vehicles to handle more than 10% enthanol concentrations in gasoline engines since the early 2000's. I have had courses in alternative fuels and their compatibility and have run experiments running E85, E70, M70, M85, Methanol ("M100") and 50/50 ethanol to gasoline. Although you cannot run the high concentrations (greater than 20%) without long term effects, especially the high methanol concentrations, the lower concentration fuels are fine. Actually, I have seen some cases in a few specific cars that are gasoline only, run E85, which is not always 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol... sometimes the ethanol percentage can be as low as 40% at a crappy station, without anyproblems long term. What's the difference between a "Flex-Fuel" vehicle and another similar vehicle (in respect to newer vehicles)? Pretty much a badge. Of course a dedicated alternative fuel vehicle will run tons better than a "flex-fuel".

Don't believe me? Do a little good research in some of SAE's publications.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
87 non-ethanol did better mpg than 89 10% ethanol in my last 2 highway fillups by about 30 miles. I will not be using ethanol!

Oh, I found a gas station today that had no rthanol content in any of their fuels! I was estatic :) Found my new fillup joint haha.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No, I do not belive you. Car companies in general have designed vehicles to handle more than 10% enthanol concentrations in gasoline engines since the early 2000's. I have had courses in alternative fuels and their compatibility and have run experiments running E85, E70, M70, M85, Methanol ("M100") and 50/50 ethanol to gasoline. Although you cannot run the high concentrations (greater than 20%) without long term effects, especially the high methanol concentrations, the lower concentration fuels are fine. Actually, I have seen some cases in a few specific cars that are gasoline only, run E85, which is not always 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol... sometimes the ethanol percentage can be as low as 40% at a crappy station, without anyproblems long term. What's the difference between a "Flex-Fuel" vehicle and another similar vehicle (in respect to newer vehicles)? Pretty much a badge. Of course a dedicated alternative fuel vehicle will run tons better than a "flex-fuel".

Don't believe me? Do a little good research in some of SAE's publications.
You have some valid points. Perhaps a low concentration of ethanol such as 10% wont have a significant impact, but id rather it have no impact at all. Either way, you cannot deny the fact that alchohol based fuels will not affect an aluminum engine block or metal or alloy parts over time. its simple chemistry. i found an article which outlines some of the things you have said.

Ethanol damage to engines confirmed - theage.com.au

a picture of a BMW engine that has been run on 85 octane containing ethanol. Although the corrosion in the picture may not be a direct result of the ethanol, it certainly didnt help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
pony boy, id like to see the source of the article that you got that picture from.

Also, the article you posted needs to be taken with a grain of salt and read very carefully.

·
Registered
254 Posts
and U use this as an example???

Picking from some blog that doesn't reference any study but reports these conclusions may make you lose sleep at night but won't get you too close to factual info. The best you can surmise is that higher concentrations of ethanol not approved by manufacturers for use in their engines can result in fuel related problems. More engines in the US domestic market are being certified to use E85 fuel. I hope this info doesn't make you go on tranqilizers.:heha:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts