Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone just got layed off from their job and wants to sell their project Stang.
Here are the specs he listed. Any idea how much Horse power a good build would put out with these specs. Kinda sounds like it would be a screamer, I think he's hungry.

White 92 mustang gt : 306 5 speed tremec transmission 375 gears,forged pistons,forged rods,msd coil,303 x cam,x pipe,gt 40 intake upper and lower, ,good interior(grey) cobra wheels!
He is asking $4,500 obo

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
'92 5.0 gt

Someone just got layed off from their job and wants to sell their project Stang.
Here are the specs he listed. Any idea how much Horse power a good build would put out with these specs. Kinda sounds like it would be a screamer, I think he's hungry.

White 92 mustang gt : 306 5 speed tremec transmission 375 gears,forged pistons,forged rods,msd coil,303 x cam,x pipe,gt 40 intake upper and lower, ,good interior(grey) cobra wheels!
He is asking $4,500 obo

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's going to be really hard to tell you without know what heads are on the build, as they are the main source of gains in these engines.

·
Registered
511 Posts
what makes it a project car exactly? Even with a mildly built bottom end with that cam and intake your not looking at much more power over a stock motor. do you know if the heads are stock or aftermarket?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'92 5.0 gt

what makes it a project car exactly? Even with a mildly built bottom end with that cam and intake your not looking at much more power over a stock motor. do you know if the heads are stock or aftermarket?
Wow. Thanks for the quick response!

My bad, GT40 Heads is what he says

Thank You!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its second generation "project" and he bought it from someone who got laid off before him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'92 5.0 gt

Wow. Thanks for the quick response!

My bad, GT40 Heads is what he says

Thank You!
"Project" Is the term he used, not me. I think more of a project,when about 25 yrs ago we got a Vega Body from a junk yard,my friends dad had a machine shop and helped us fabricate/cut out for motor mounts,We had the best drag racing motor builder in the state,hook us up with a nice 350, nice intake w/ dual 750 Holleys , 411 rear end,never took it to the track but it did 137mph in the quarter. That to me was a project. Auto trans. the rear wheels would turn at a stand still with every lope of the cam. If you were going north at 35 mph and nailed it to the floor,you would be facing south in about a quarter second,was too scary,we even had illegal (at the time) widest tires we could get on the rear rims.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well, let's put this in prospective. If the body is straight and the interior is good then it is a good buy. Regardless of what mods are in it. 4500$ for a straight 92 gt is a fair dear.

For a closer estimate on what the engine can make you might want to wait for spd_jnky comes around. He -LOVES- estimating for people. :winks

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Maybe some pictures would give us a better perspective. Plus spdjnky is the HP master at guessing what people have at the tire.

And when you say project what does it need as that would be a project to me?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Definetdly need some pics and more details. What exact transmission? Tremec tko-500 or t-5z or what? What exact gt-40 heads, aluminum or iron? 3:75 gears? Did you meen 3:73? Who rebuilt the motor? Whats the mileage? I would do a compression test, do a carfax, check under the carpet on the floor for rust. Check the sunroof for rust. Check the torque boxes[ where the rear lower control arm bolts to] for frame damage and twisting. In my opinion for $4500.00 the paint and interior should be very good and the motor, trans, rear end, brakes, should all work with no issues for me to spend that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definetdly need some pics and more details. What exact transmission? Tremec tko-500 or t-5z or what? What exact gt-40 heads, aluminum or iron? 3:75 gears? Did you meen 3:73? Who rebuilt the motor? Whats the mileage? I would do a compression test, do a carfax, check under the carpet on the floor for rust. Check the sunroof for rust. Check the torque boxes[ where the rear lower control arm bolts to] for frame damage and twisting. In my opinion for $4500.00 the paint and interior should be very good and the motor, trans, rear end, brakes, should all work with no issues for me to spend that.

Yea, Im kinda thinking he doesn't know exactly what he's got there,At first he said GT40 intake...Would those fit on stock heads? Probably not. hu? I never heard of 3:50 gears either, my third 5.0 had the 3:73 gears ( fastest 5.0 I ever owned ). Ill just have to get over their and see what he has, even could possible be a little language barrier thing also.
Thanks to everyone who commented, I greatly appreciate your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to check it out tomorrow with the right build and mods I know you can get 400 HP w/o NOS. One old friend Dyno'ed his at 575hp w/NOS. 445 without. Im sure the previous owner knows alot more about it than him.He just happened to get laid off first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Their was no mention of injector upgrades,mass air,hot chip or anything like that. He said x pipe not h pipe? Thats a new one for me also.
The old timer that built the 350 was talking about how he used to "D" stroke an engine? Ever heard of this? And correction.. his 390/400 pinto had the dual 750's not out Vega. It had one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
going to check it out tomorrow with the right build and mods i know you can get 400 hp w/o nos. One old friend dyno'ed his at 575hp w/nos. 445 without. Im sure the previous owner knows alot more about it than him.he just happened to get laid off first.

300hp without nos on a 306. If he has gt40 heads with the other mods he prob has like 250rwhp.

If the body an interior is perfect an the car runs strong its prob worth $4500.

Other wise they are a dime a dozen an i would just hold off intill you find a better one for cheaper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right!I now have a ride to check out 2 or three tomorrow Since the tranny went out on my Sonata I need a ride but really want a bad ass toy. I got on a roller coaster a couple weeks ago and realized how much i missed the G forces ,like an addiction,I wanna feel like I did with the Vega but be able to live to tell the story,actually had gotten 7 tickets( headed for jail) and traded it for a ski boat (beer and bikinis:))
But I love those G's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He said "project" and listed about 20 other things he was doing to it but i just copy/pasted the drive train info on here to get some tips, Im 46 now and havent really had a real Hotrod in 25 years.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ran into this posting and thought Id throw i out there for any comments or advise,really didnt want to spend this much but it is a beauty!:bigthumbsup

94-30th Anniversary Edition GT Custom build.

Over $10k in mods and custom has been invested in this beautiful car with all top named performance products.This car is awesome fast

I am asking $8,000 cash .Price has been reduced from $ 10k already.I may consider cash and a trade for a reliable vehicle that is in good running condition and overall nice condition in appearance.I will consider all trade offers so throw me your offer and we can see what happens. .This car produces 450 hp on motor and about 570-580hp with the nitrous.Is a Cobra killer!!! there is over $ 6500 in the motor alone.Please send pics of trade offers if possible

I WOULD REALLY LIKE A CORVETTE TRADE( needing some cosmetics is okay ) or Trans Am or other sportscar (foreign/domestic ) just off the top of my head.Who knows what I might take in trade though but no Large granny cars

ANY REASONABLE OFFERS CONSIDERED. CASH OR CASH/TRADE OR EVEN TRADE ISNEGOTIABLE DEPENDING ON YOUR VEHICHLE.TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE.

The motor is a 5.0 Coastal performance 347 stroker with lowend girdle to handle over 500 hp.It is 10.5:1 compression with AER aluminum 188cc heads,x303 mid range race cam for streetability--1.7roller rockers--30lb injectors--80mm mas air meter-Trickflow hi-rise intake,hi-volume oil pump with 7qt deep sump oil pan,headers,MSD distributor with MSD 6a perf.coil,8mm wire set,Trickflow valvecovers--Nitrous Express system with all failsafes and bottle heater..It also has a Sct performance chip in the computer.K&;N forced air unit.

The trans is a new 5spd close ratio with a short throw shifter and a high performance clutch set.Dual exhaust with flows and sounds fantastic. The rearend has been changed to a 3.73 posi unit. The cooling system is an all aluminum 4 core radiator. High performance racing brake system with cross-drilled rotors.Cragar 17 inch rims with Toyo Proxes 4 275/40zr 17 tires on frt and 315/35R17 on rear(very wide/soft comp)and sit inside wheelwells----SLEEPER !!! Also has an anti-theft system in it.

The body is in fantastic shape and the paint is beautiful.Has 79,000 miles on it.Top is almost new with the glass back window not the cheap plastic type.The hood is an aftermarket hi-rise made by Cervanti.the interior is black leather and is super clean condition over-all.Has the pillar mount guages and Racing tach with shift lights.GT mustang floor mats.Nitrous bottle is trunk mounted.Top is electric and works fine.

This is a near show quality car not your everday Stang. Yes,it does have cold a/c and heater is hot

THIS CAR IS PURE AMERICAN MUSCLE-------WILL LAUNCH LIKE A ROCKET !!!!!!!!! NO JOY RIDES !!!!! PLEASE DON'T CALL IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE CASH OR ARE READY TO BUY/Trade

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It says no joy rides.... I'd ask if he meant no test drives. I wouldn't buy a car with no test drive unless I was buying a piece of junk on purpose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stang

I think he meant dont show up without the money or proof that you have the $$ to pay for it , I would hope. Everybody Ive inquired with I have told that I insist on being there for the cold crank (no warmed up engines) I know ppl who have gotten burned that way. Blown valve stem seals,smoking, tapping lifters,slipping trannys, could probably go on all day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another listing ...Does anybody know if I can still run ac after I install the GT40 Cobra heads and upper and lower intakes, hes only asking little over 2k for this ride! Thanks for the help!:)

Up for sale is my 1989 mustang gt 5.0 convertable got title in hand. Car is auto and ac needs coolant.car has 99k original miles. Motor runs strong body is straight no leaks. It gots mac headers,x pipe, flowmasters,mild cam,cold air intake,shift kit, rebuilt trans,msd distributer and wires. I also got pair of gt40 cobra heads , upper and lower cobra intake that will go with sell of car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts