Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOS problems with 95 5.0 Stang

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Ga-Pony 
#1 ·
I have a wet NOS I just instaled on my 95, 5.0, Auto Stang. Just set it all up last night and today. Here is the problem. When I hit the NOS switch at full throttle the car starts choking as if to much gas. Black smoke does come out the tails. I have checked the whole NOS system to make sure all is funtioning properly. Fogger is working right. Jetted right {tried 75 and 150 NOS and fuel Jets. Same effect} Lines are free of kinks and free flowing. Selinod for fuel and NOS funtion poperly. Full tank of NOS. The whole NOS system is funtioning Flawles!

Here is the list of the tweeks done to My Stang. Edelbrock uper and lower Matched manifolds. 70 mm throttle body. Cold Air. Ajustable Fuel pressure regulator with presure gadge attached. Off road 2 1/2 pipes with h pipe and Flow masters. Minni Headers.

The NOS fogger is tapped into the spacer between the 70mm hottle body and Edelbrock Manifold. Fogger is faceing the right way into the Manifold. I am running fuel presure at 42 while idleing. It is a vacume operated fuel presure regulator {brand New.}.

I am not new to all of this. But this one is getting by me. Spent half the day at my super shop checking the whole nos system to make sure it was all running right. Spay, Electrical, NOS, Fuel, Jets, Silinods... all checked by myself and another at the Super Shop. They can't figure it out either.

If any one out there has had this problem. Any insight would really help.

Agian... When I hit the NOS switch at any rpm, at full throttle... the car chokes {chugs}, black smoke. If I let the full open throttle switch kick in the NOS from a stand still start, the stang will choke and almost stall.

I hope this is enough info for some insight...

Thank you

See less See more
#3 ·
Your set up has a 150 Shot... So you know the NOS well... is it on a 5.0 HO like mine? Did you have any of these problems? Any insight would be so much help. Like I siad... I am not new to tweeking my car. Raced 67 mustangs when I was younger, 16 to 20. Did all my own work... but this one is killing me. It has to be something small I am over looking...

She has a blanket to keep her warm. This is driving me crazy. I even took the chance and lowered fuel presure to 38... No go. Same results... black smoke, meaning to rich... and chug...

I hit the swith... she seems to flood out on the fuel, but mix is right. Kill the switch and power is restored and she pulls hard....

Any other ideas.... Anyone...

Thank you...

#4 ·
I did experience the same problem that your having....But I had an experienced nitrous tech to help fix mine...I can give you some things to look for...

First off...I do have a 91 Lx with a A9L computer factory..I have my Nitrous tapped into the elbow of the cold air kit...I have the full open throttle swithch that has a sensor with a chain....Not the microswithch..

There are so many small things to check when I go to start mine up..

--1. Of course the bottle being open, being the right temperature, and making sure the feed line from the bottle is secure with no kinks.
--2. The fuel pressure...For obvious reasons...BTW..IF your turning your fuel pressure up and down; this changes the HP shot your feeding the motor..The HP is determined by the two mm sizes and teh fuel pressure.
--3. I purge my nitrous line right at the sylenoids on teh firewall to get the air out..
--4. I rev my motor up (throttle cable under hood) and pull the chain..If it works..Off I go..Make sure you rev up the motor pretty high before activating teh nitrous..Other wise your gonna get a nitrous backfire..

Make sure your sylenoids are wired right...Remove the nitrous feed line from the sylenoids..pull teh switch and listen for the sylenoid to click...WHILE THE MOTOR IS SHUTOFF BTW..If it does not click..You have a wiring problem...Easy to fix...but will not work properly...

I'm sorry this post is so jumbled up...but i'm typing as these things come to me :)

Try these things and let me know how it comes out...Chris

#5 ·
One thing I forgot to mention....The problem I found with my system initially: THe bottle was not hot...Put the 75 shot back in until you get it worked out...So you don't foul any plugs...Good luck..

#6 ·
thanks agian. Think I will let it go for a day or two. This has me so confused. Winter is here in the Rocky Moutians any how.

I have done it all. Changed jets, blaketted bottle, perged NOS at silinoid. Ran bothsilinoids alone {each Sprayed}, taken fogger out and triped gas silinoid, then NOS silinoid, both fogged well, then together. Purged NOS untill pure NOS fuel, Tripped NOS system by switch and by throttle relay. Jeted to 75 shot, 125 shot {fuel and NOS}... all the same effect. Over load of fuel... chug... The NOS side is firing just as it should....

off the line thottle switch 2000 rpm and under full load 4000 and 5000 manual trigger.... all the same. What would happen if I injected before the Mass Air Sensor instead of at the elbo spacer between my Eddlebrock and the 70mm throttle body?

Im about ready to scrap the system and put the money into a procharger..:happyhapp

Mark

#7 ·
I had a similair problem with mine. We cut down the size of the fuel jet and it smoothed out..seems that with the 24 lb injectors and the 190 pump I was pushing quite a bit of fuel so the standard size jet for the 75 shot was too big...

#8 ·
:eyepoppin I have been thinking along that line too. I chug and black smoke are a indication of to much fuel. Where did you tap in to inject your shot? What size jet sizes did you settle on for the 75 shot {nos and fuel} If that is my problem, which i think it is... then I will adapt the size to the 125 shot when i stableize the 75 shot.

Thank you so much. Someone that had the same problem. I do love this forum!

Mark

#9 ·
go to google and type in nitrous jet sizes and there is a site that has an entire list of dyno proven jet sizes for nitrous and fuel...be sure to look on the 45 psi fuel rail column and remember that the sizes listed are in millimeters. I had to convert from millimeters to inches because my jet kit was in standard sizes not metric....good luck!

#10 ·
89 GTGhost... Thank you for your quick replys and insite. All is well, now. I was on the phone with NOS... it was a over site on my side... so simple. I was looking for the big problem and it was small. Figures :dunce:! I draged 67 stangs, 289's way back when. This is why the confution. . I know what I am doing. And guess what it was? I shouldn't even post this.... I used teflon tape... {bad mistake. I know better} a small piece had jamed in the screen before the silinoid. I did not even think to check I was that confedent about my install. NOS siad that they have had relays go bad... not quite but not open all the way. So i went to replace the relay and low and behold... a small piece of tephlon was blocking the path way. Cleaned it out... set my fuel presure back to 34 psi at idle under vacume... took her for a ride with the 125 jets in and hit the NOS on a roll at about 3200 rpm.... "Mad Max Road Worrior Time" Threw me back in my seat... I mean SHE really kicked... I started busting a gut. Next light I came to ... big mistake... let the full throttle switch light her up... both tires light up and car started going side ways before I could get my foot off the peddle... I have 18 245 sticky ZR's, a street tire I know, but they hold the ground so well becuase of the width... not any more... What a RUSH...

Agian.. thanks for all the help. Have timeing retarded 2 with 038 and .065 jets, 34 psi on regulator on 19 pound injectors. Pulled plugs... perfect mix... Time to go Vet hunting...

My dad has the 05 Tbird with the new valves... tectonic... yadda... yadda... yadda... Very fast car for stock... still thought he could take me tonight... it was sad... wasn't even a race... poor dad... Tomarrow it is my friends 03 stock with a procharger.....

Thanks agian... Should have my new heads and my TWEECER RT this friday... Gonna be another fun weekend... I was gonna put the 24lbs on with the new heads... but i think I will keep the 19's, but we will see. I still drive this on the road all the time. My whole problem is going to be keeping her from never moveing at a stand still. Untill I decided what to to about that... NOS will have to wait untill she is at least moving accross the intersetion..

Thanks agian..

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.