Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was just cruising down this two lane road in a farming area, (I wouldn't do this in the city) the road is a straight shot about 5 miles long.
I see these headlights in the rear view mirror approaching, they get closer and it is a group of four Harley bikers right on my tail. There is this hay truck that just pulls in front of me, I couldn't pass because there were a couple cars comming in the opposite direction, as luck would have it, the cars pass and the truck turns off the road, I thought do I, or don't I????
I dood it. So knowing that these bikers probably would pass me, I downshifted to second. Off I go, (give me a break I have been driving a chevy pickup for 8 years) anyway, I caught the bikers by surprise, they hit it just as I did, 20,30,40,50, watching my rpms, shifting to 3rd, bikers still behind me, they did not attempt to pass, hit 100, Bikers about 20 feet behind me keeping up rather well, stop sign comming up, we stop. I can see the two front bikers smiling and talking to each other like they were saying, that was cool. Anyway They gave me the thumbs up while I was turning on my street. yeah I know they could have whooped me if they wanted. But it was fun!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Harley owners are some of the coolest people on the road :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Haha you dood it. I didn't know Harley's or other hoggs were that quick...I know crotch rockets are but then again I know crapabout bikes and right now im too lazy too look up 0-60 times on em.

PS I'm glad we got another post up here. It seems like it's been forever since we had a "race" story up here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have to say that harley bikers arent all that nice usually, my dad has a Honda Valkarie 1500 and he always waves at bikers, but the ones on harleys never wave back, and they always want to race him, and get their asses kicked. I dont get it, their 600 or 800 cc v twin isnt going to keep up with a lightly moddified horizontal 6.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
funkbuster said:
I have to say that harley bikers arent all that nice usually, my dad has a Honda Valkarie 1500 and he always waves at bikers, but the ones on harleys never wave back, and they always want to race him, and get their asses kicked. I dont get it, their 600 or 800 cc v twin isnt going to keep up with a lightly moddified horizontal 6.
That new V-Rod is cool, but I have to admit, I learned to ride on a Honda XR100. I had a sponsorship to race CBR600s in 1987 with a friend of mine who was campaigning in the Southwest . . . But I haven't been on a bike since 1993, when I was almost taken out by 3 drivers in one day. Back then, when you saw Harleys, it was usually by the side of the road with someone working on them.

I'd take a V-max or 90s era V65 magna if I wanted to hear a performance exhaust.

$$ no object, I'd go with either the V-rod or a Ducati Monster . . . If I could trust the folks on cell phones to drive responsibly . . .

:eyebulge:

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dad has a new V-Rod, hes almost to old to ride it. He always took to bikes, has had more than 15 in my lifetime

·
Registered
22 Posts
funkbuster said:
I have to say that harley bikers arent all that nice usually, my dad has a Honda Valkarie 1500 and he always waves at bikers, but the ones on harleys never wave back
those harley bikers have a huge amount of american pride.

·
Registered
364 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I didn't know Harley's or other hoggs were that quick...
It's all power to weight. Nearly any bike will take nearly any car. Think about it -- our (99-04) Mustangs are about 3200 lb with 260 hp = 12 lbs/hp
a Harley Sportster 883 weighs about 600lbs and has about 60 hp = 10 lbs/hp.

And the Harley twin cam 88 motor isn't a real powerful engine -- I believe that the motor in new VRod has about 120hp, and some of the Japanese crotch-rockets have even more than that.

·
Registered
364 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.