Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so today i reinstalled the steering and filled the transmission with the gear oil, and took it for a test drive it ran nice engine is strong but its not throwing me back in the seat like i expected from this v8. i feel as if my infiniti g35 sedan has more ass then this does. at least i feel the power more from my G. inside the mustang is a decent size cam im gonna say its mild, and im sure the gears are stock, i only say this cause during the burn outs today only one wheel was spinning. during that event the drive belt went out on it and then it started leaking from the over flow tank on the radiator. the fluid in that is a rusty color i plan to change this fluid. but this v8 was weak i thought it was gonna be like balls to the wall. its a carb set up and its a edlbroch and a whaylin or however its spelled intake. i really would say that my timing is off and that the carb is not tweaked right i live in the hagerstown area. if anyone knows where i can take it to for a good price to get properly tuned. but i think its just a weak motor and has no power. the later models put more power out. i know this so if i were to find just the later block would that be a simple bolt up? and i can use mainly most of my current set up for hitting the 400 hp numbers? 650 edlbroch carb and 8mm wires. i would like some imput is all thank you!

·
Registered
313 Posts
infiniti g35 sedan has more ass then this does. hitting the 400 hp numbers? 650 edlbroch carb and 8mm wires. i would like some imput is all thank you!
What year is your infinit g35?

you have to understand...your talking about a vehicle that is working with old technology...

400Hp...is going to require a lot of CASH$$$$$$$..unless you buy it used ...and a good combo...

I am going to let the Big boys take it from here...I am still learning..I don't want to start talking like I know it all:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
575 Posts
what year are we talking about here and transmission? you might want to rebuild your rearend because it normally should do one wheel peels.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
This post reminds me of the first article I wrote about my '89 LX. Check this out:

1989 Ford Mustang LX - Fox Buildup

In the first few paragraphs, I was talking about how it had been years since I'd driven a stock 5.0 and I didn't realize how slow they were. :heha: But if you read the whole article, I did some weight reduction, added UPR Products suspension, drag radials, and ran 12.91 @ 103 with the stock 302. (it later dynoed at 236hp/303tq)

So you know, even though the G35s are plenty stout from the factory (modern technology), the stock 5.0s can be made to throw the spank down on a G35 very easily.

I suspect there may be a tuning issue with yours? (oh, and I'm guessing your intake manifold is a Weiand) Anyway, how far are you from JPC Racing? CONTACT JPC

·
Registered
394 Posts
Did you say you filled the transmission with gear oil? Well there's your problem. LOL.. I'm sure you meant trans fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok the year of my car is a 83 and the transmission i am told it was from a 85, and it does do 1 wheel peel outs. i just feel like for a v8 i should be set back in my seat a lot further then mildly impressed. but a guy is selling a 351 bare block with new water pump and gears for around 300 and i am wondering what kinda heads ill need to get if i choose to get this? also what all is really needed if i decide to do this from a bare block, im not rich so i don't have the luxury to say money is no object so brand new and all that is great but i am looking for practical and power! i know they don't normally go hand in hand but i know it can be done thanks

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well in 1983 those stangs only came with 175 hp.

Second your tranny should not have gear oil in it.

Third it is going to take some money to put out 400 and that rear end needs to be swapped out for an 8.8 as you have a smaller 7.5.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok gear oil "transmission oil" ok so i need to change my rear end? for a 8.8 to match what the output of the motor and the gear ratios for the 5 speed? is there anywhere i can get one that someone knows about? also other then the rear end what else is needed. also the motor isnt stock its got a large cam in it but i dont think its pushing alot of power. i know its stock at 175 but after cam and the waylin intake and the carb it should of upped the HP a little ways there. im thinking max at this point im around 300 or is that not even close?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd guess you are no where near 300. Not with a simple cam swap.

Remember, your G35 is probably in perfect working order, while the Mustang not only came with much less power when new, as pointed out above, but it is also in need of a tune up too.

Before you make any more investments in new parts, I'd go on Amazon and get a book that details what you need to do in order to reach your goals. Another point made above is that this is going to cost you a lot of money, so you need to make WISE decisions on what to do and in what order. This is only accomplished with knowledge. You'll get a lot on this forum, but also look to outside sources. There are many books devoted to getting power out of the SB Ford.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If it is truly a 1985 T5 tranny then I think it would be a world class T5 and it should have automatic fluid. Gear oil is not good for T5's.

Your rear end is a smaller unit and it should be a 7.5. The 8.8 wasn't introduced on mustangs till 1986. It is a stronger unit and it has a trak loc from factory which is a limited slip. This rear can be made to take one hell of a beating and would be a direct swap over.

Your car is nowhere making that kinda power and is pretty slow compared to today's standards. It is going to take plenty of reading and searching so that you build a decent platform.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts